MB 800 burning meat while smoking

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

whatdoido4

Original poster
Nov 22, 2023
Hello all, I have a MB 800 Gravity Fed smoker. The last few items I've tried to smoke have not come out so good. Beef Ribs, brisket, and a pork shoulder (different smokes) have all had the same problem. The bottom gets crispy and super dried out. I smoked at about 250 and the rest of the meat is great.
Has anyone else had this experience or suggestions to try? I'm not sure if its my technique or the smoker and I'm planning on smoking a turkey for thanksgiving and I'd like to not have half of it inedible.

For wood I used FOGO black bag and wood chunks mixed in.

Reactions: JLeonard
Hello all, I have a MB 800 Gravity Fed smoker. The last few items I've tried to smoke have not come out so good. Beef Ribs, brisket, and a pork shoulder (different smokes) have all had the same problem. The bottom gets crispy and super dried out. I smoked at about 250 and the rest of the meat is great.
Has anyone else had this experience or suggestions to try? I'm not sure if its my technique or the smoker and I'm planning on smoking a turkey for thanksgiving and I'd like to not have half of it inedible.

For wood I used FOGO black bag and wood chunks mixed in.
Hi there and welcome!
I do not have your smoker but when this issue gets brought up the 1st thing to get asked is:

Are you using a reliable multiprobe thermometer to check your smoker temp at the rack level where the meat is cooking?

A reliable thermometer like this will likely show that your smoker is running WAY hotter than it's stock thermometer is telling you.
Basically all smoker thermometers seem to be off or poor quality and 1st good tool to help is a good reliable thermometer with multiple probes to figure out what is going on with your temps at various spots in the smoker and also while loaded with different amounts of meat.
Good sales happening now and through the weekend to get one :D

Additional things you can do with the fatty meats are to put the fat towards the source of heat so it helps protect the meat. Don't trim much of the fat so it can help protect.
Also put the meat on a rack and the rack on/in/over a disposable aluminum pan and that pan will help deflect direct heat some. This plus fat side down will help.

Finally, running hot for a Turkey is a good thing. You will get rubber skin if you don't cook a turkey/chicken at a hot enough temp. Cooking temps of 325F+ will get you good skin.
Again, having a reliable multiprobe thermometer will let you know your temps AND it's important to pull a turkey a little before the breast meat hits 165F.
Why a little before? The temp will continue to rise in the breast to get to 165F. As you go over 165F temp in the breast meat, the texture, juice, flavor will greatly begin to suffer.

I hope this info helps :D

I agree with tallbm. A good thermometer is important. I never rely on the built in one.
Which rack are you placing the meat on? I noticed on my 800 right away that placing meat on the bottom rack tended to give me results like yours. Now I smoke everything on he middle rack, it seems to give a more even cook to the meat.
This is just my experience, others may have more to share.
Good luck and Happy Thanksgiving.

I have the 800 and mostly smoke on the bottom rack with no issues, what is FOGO? I do have the klotes mods water pan manifold cover and place 2 aluminum trays under the grates.

What's the make up of your rub and how heavy are you putting it on?

Chris

I have an 800 and have not experienced this issue, but I also never smoke on the bottom rack. Does this happen to meat smoked on both sides of the grates? Mine is a bit hotter away from the hopper...

I have the 800 and mostly smoke on the bottom rack with no issues, what is FOGO? I do have the klotes mods water pan manifold cover and place 2 aluminum trays under the grates.
FOGO is a brand of lump charcoal. Do you have a link to the klotes mods? I’m only aware of the LSS mods.

Reactions: clifish
I have an 800 and have not experienced this issue, but I also never smoke on the bottom rack. Does this happen to meat smoked on both sides of the grates? Mine is a bit hotter away from the hopper...
It does happen on both sides. I thought it was because I had it close to the hopper too.

FOGO is a brand of lump charcoal. Do you have a link to the klotes mods? I’m only aware of the LSS mods.

I have this and the hopper cover, both work very well.

Reactions: whatdoido4
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky