Offset smoker pig roast

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Geos7812

Fire Starter
Original poster
Feb 4, 2019
I am restoring a big offset style smoker. It’s 5’ x 2’. The entire reason for buying it was to ultimately roast a pig. My question is, has anyone ever roasted a pig in an offset style and if so, what do I need to start thinking about for my cook? This is a new smoker to me, but I will have played with it prior to tackling the pig.

Low and slow. I've competed doing whole hogs. Rub the inside with salt. I used a teriyaki citrus liquid that I made to brush it down and keep it moist. Hickory wood.

Roasting whole pig for show or as a biz?
While pretty and makes an impression on open minded guests, whole pig's can be wasteful. Lots of weight in bone going in the trash. Not to mention the Head, unless you invite adventurous eaters that dive in for all the goodies. Depending on size, 100 Lbs+, there is quite a bit of Fat to deal with. After spending all night roasting a 120 pounder for #1 daughters birthday and finding about 60% going in the trash, I opted to only roast off Whole Shoulders, butt with picnic and skin intact. Got over a 50% yield and 2 served 50 people.
Anyway, to answer your question, set up your Baffle and Tuning Plates to give even heat end to end. The fire box side will still be a bit hotter so place the Tail end toward the higher heat. Let the even Low And Slow heat of the rest of the chamber cook the rest.
Another pretty presentation, and very flavorful, is a Boneless Whole Hog, with head intact, made into an Italian Porchetta. Cost a bit more a pound to have the butcher bone it out, but stuffed with Garlic and Herbs is cooked whole and simply Sliced, tail to head, no picking or bones to deal with. Leaner meat is at the Hams and Shoulders and succulent Fatty Meat is where the Belly wraps the Loins. The Loins stay juicier, than a whole bone-in hog, because they are protected by the belly. There are quite a few Videos on how Porchetta is made...JJ

" Pig Pickins" are big in North Carolina. Everyone gets prime meat selection. Yes there is some waste in bone but folks LOVE to pick their own so to speak.

" Pig Pickins" are big in North Carolina. Everyone gets prime meat selection. Yes there is some waste in bone but folks LOVE to pick their own so to speak.

I was totally into the experience but for my NJ guests, who only cook meat from foam trays covered with plastic, the reviews were mixed. Great food but seeing the whole animal and head was gross. The very few that were in to it, Dad and some Chef friends, we dug into the beast, snacking on the choice meat from the belly and cheeks...JJ

There ya go. Country Boys will survive. Foam trays melt during the apocalypse leaving only steel smokers behind. Move SOUTH. I thought everyone there moved here via a stay in Flawida. In Ohio BBQ is a grilled burger. Down here in Dixie it's anything on all fours. Be true to yourself. Smoke it and they will come.

Last edited:
Good stuff. I was going to go whole pig but already boned. What temp should I target?

Depends on your goal. Smoke at 225°F. For Slices that are juicy with a Beef Steak texture, an IT of 145-150°F will get you there. If you want to Pull the whole deal and mix the drier and more moist meat together, 205+/- in the Hams should do it, but use the Probe method to test for tenderness. Another option, cut out the Loins and Tenderloins when they hit 145, wrap and cooler rest. Then let the rest, Shoulders, Bellies and Hams go to a pulling IT...JJ

Reactions: BigTurtle
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky