Odd shaped brisket? Need some advice!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

chorchie

Original poster
Sep 14, 2023
Hi, a family member purchased a brisket for me to smoke tonight. It's supposed to be a packer, but I'm a little confused by how it looks. Can anyone let me know if thos is a packer? And is it just cut a little odd? I am confused by what looks like it would be the point. Or is this just a flat? I am relatively new to briskets, but of the ones I've smoked, I've never had one that looks like this.

Also, given that it is on the thinner side, how much time per point should I plan to smoke this one for (at 225°)?

Thank you in advance for your help!

-David

Attachments

• PXL_20230915_002240396.jpg
    PXL_20230915_002240396.jpg
    182.3 KB · Views: 54
  • PXL_20230915_002304453.jpg
    PXL_20230915_002304453.jpg
    118.2 KB · Views: 50
  • PXL_20230915_002257475.jpg
    PXL_20230915_002257475.jpg
    124.7 KB · Views: 49
  • PXL_20230915_002317538.jpg
    PXL_20230915_002317538.jpg
    174.2 KB · Views: 51
Reactions: JLeonard
What is the weight of the total package? Don't think I looked at the picture close enough. Looks like a large point smaller flat brisket.

Hmmm, strange. It was supposed to be a full packer.

Well, given than, how would you time the cook? I was planning on about an hour per pound, wrapping at about 170 degrees. Do I need to alter my times?

Thanks!!
-David

And am I correct in my markup (attached) of where the point and flat is?

Attachments

• PXL_20230915_002240396~2.jpg
    PXL_20230915_002240396~2.jpg
    187.1 KB · Views: 45
Toss it on full, smoke it until its probe tender. Slice it and see where your favorite part is. I’ve had a thicker flat in the past, was great.

Toss it on full, smoke it until its probe tender. Slice it and see where your favorite part is. I’ve had a thicker flat in the past, was great.
Do you think this could be a flat? Or is it definitely the point? Just curious because I don't want my family to have overpaid for a point when they were charged for a packer.

And since I haven't smoked just a point before (if this is a point), should I still plan on 1 hour per pound or so?

If I start it tonight, planning on an overnight cook, I want to make sure it won't get done sooner than expected.

Thanks!!

Follow your plan as you have it. If it finishes early foil it and give it a long rest in a cooler wrapped in towels or in the oven on warm setting.

Jim

Do you think this could be a flat? Or is it definitely the point? Just curious because I don't want my family to have overpaid for a point when they were charged for a packer.

And since I haven't smoked just a point before (if this is a point), should I still plan on 1 hour per pound or so?

If I start it tonight, planning on an overnight cook, I want to make sure it won't get done sooner than expected.

Thanks!!
Well that depends, what smoker are you using? (Might have been mentioned but the Vikings are playing so I’m drinking) 😂

Can anyone give me advice on how to slice this one? I can't really tell where the point and flat start and end (and I think there is some flat below the point). Anyway, I'm not sure how I should slice this. Thanks!!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky