Nutty Complex Whole Grain Bread

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

noboundaries

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Sep 7, 2013
Roseville, CA, a suburb of Sacramento
As many of you know, I can't leave a recipe alone, even ones I create. Ingredients and techniques are merely variables to me. Well, I've taken my seeded bread to another level of lip-smacking goodness.

Here ya go!

20230713_125321.jpg

20230713_125304.jpg

20230713_141016.jpg

Ray's Flaxmeal Tangzhong Bread #5

The flavor of this bread is rich, nutty, and complex, with a hint of sweetness. A dark honey works best (wildflower, mesquite, coriander, true pure clover, for example)

Note: our dark loaf pans give better browning than the lighter ones.

A high protein AP flour (11.7%) works but the bread can turn cakey due to the lower protein content than bread flour (12.7% to 13%). I learned this fact the first time I concocted and baked this recipe

Rustic Bread Baker's Math:
Flour/Grains/Dry Milk = 100% (1.00)
Liquid = 83% of flour/dry weight (.83×1)
Salt = 2% of flour weight (.02×1)
Yeast = 1.67% of F/G/V/Dm weight (.0167x1)

Makes a single 83% hydration 2.1 lb loaf
Dry: 530g
Wet: 440g
Salt: 10g
Yeast: 8.5g

Bulk Fermentation

Dry Ingredients
185g King Arthur Bread Flour
160g KA Whole Wheat Flour
50g Steel-cut oats, rough grind
50g Flax meal
30g Flax seeds
10g Nonfat dry milk powder
10‐12g Fine sea salt
½ g Instant yeast (⅛ tsp)

Wet Ingredients
240g room temp water
75g dark honey
(315g total weight)

Tangzhong:
100g boiling water
35g AP flour

Final Ingredients after Bulk Ferment
25g water
8g (2 tsp) Instant/Quick-Rise
Tangzhong

Directions 8 to 24 hours before baking.
Weigh water and honey. Heat 30 secs in mw. Stir together. Set aside.

Make the Tangzhong:
Use the following order. Weigh 100g boiling water in a small bowl. Add 35g AP flour. Stir to mix and break up lumps until a paste forms. Cover with cling wrap and set on counter.

Place dry ingredients into the KitchenAid mixing bowl and stir with a spoon to mix completely.

Pour water/honey into the dry ingredients. Mix with a spoon or a Dutch whisk until a shaggy ball forms and no dry ingredients remain on the sides or bottom of the bowl. Use a wet hand to mix in the last dry bits and form into a ball.

Spray sides of the bowl and the top of the dough with oil. Cover bowl with plastic wrap loosely tucked down on dough. Allow it to rise and ferment for 8-24 hours on the counter at room temperature.

Baking day:
When ready to start baking, measure 25g water in a small bowl. Add yeast. Stir to dissolve.

Use a wet hand to poke deep holes in the dough. Add the yeast water and tangzhong. Use a wet hand to mix into the dough.

Add the spiral dough hook to the mixer. Turn it to low for a minute.

Then turn it to #4, or medium low, and knead until it cleans the sides and bottom of the bowl and forms a smooth ball around the dough hook, about 8-12 minutes with the C-hook, 4-6 minutes with the spiral hook. Hold the mixer in place if it moves. Doing so also extends the life of the gearing which is made of plastic.

Once the dough ball forms, wet a hand and a bowl scraper. Scrape the dough hook clean. Spray the dough ball and sides of the bowl with oil. Flip the dough ball and spray the other side. Cover bowl, and allow the dough to rest for 30 minutes.

Perform a stretch and fold to build strength. Form back into a ball. Cover and rest for 30 minutes. Perform another stretch, fold, and ball. Cover and rest for 30 minutes.

When the dough is ready, spray two 2 lb loaf tins with oil or grease with butter. One will be the cover.

Dust a smooth working surface with bread flour. Turn the dough bowl over and allow the dough to fall free onto the work surface. Lightly dust the top of the dough. Gently press dough flat to deflate. Tri fold, then roll and pull into a loaf shape to build surface tension. Roll on the working surface to build additional tension. Sprinkle lightly with flour if too sticky.

Place dough into the prepped loaf pan seam side down. Lightly dust with bread flour. Smooth with hands and brush away excess or it will inhibit oven spring.

Cover lightly with plastic wrap and allow to rise until the edge of the dough is near the top of the loaf pan, about 30-45 minutes.

Preheat the oven to 375°F (385°F my oven).

Score the loaf down the center, spray lightly with water, and place the second greased loaf pan on top of the other.

Bake covered for 30 minutes. Remove the cover pan, and bake 10 minutes more. Check internal temp of the bread is 200°F-208°F.

Remove from oven and loaf pan, then allow bread to cool on a cooling rack. Once completely cooled, bread stores well on the counter for 3-4 days. Store wrapped in the refrigerator for up to ten days.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky