Nutrition and Cooking Tips

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  Lemon Holiday Salad

1 pkg Lemon Jello[emoji]174[/emoji] Gelatin 3 oz. (Sugar-Free if Available)

1 can 7-Up[emoji]174[/emoji]

1 can Dole[emoji]174[/emoji] Crushed Pineapple 8 oz.

1 cup hot water

1 carrot

pinch of salt

in a bowl, add Lemon Jello[emoji]174[/emoji] Gelatin powder, pinch of salt

heat 1 cup water in microwave 3 minutes or until hot, pour in bowl

drain Dole[emoji]174[/emoji] Crushed Pineapple into a strainer, capturing juice in a container

pour juice into 1 cup measuring cup and fill to 8 oz with 7-Up[emoji]174[/emoji] soda

add crushed pineapple to mix

add juice/soda to mix

grate a peeled carrot into mix and stir all

pour into favorite holiday dish, let set in refrigerator 4 hours

Serve with mayo

Serving suggestion:  bed of lettuce, split banana, salad, mayo, chopped nuts

e2c093d7_001.jpg

Serving Suggestion:

7a35a158_002.jpg

Delicious, satisfying, and much-reduced calories instead of cheesecake, ice cream or other high-cal desserts or confectionaries!

Further trim the calories and increase health benefits with sugar-free lemon gelatin, lo-cal lo-fat mayo, unsalted nuts and Diet 7-Up[emoji]174[/emoji]!  Try it, you'll love it!  Getting the grandkids hooked on it too!

Last edited:
My kids, however, have an entirely different opinion, they grew up with it and now detest it because we always serve it, lol!  So, if we get the grandkids loving it, then they''ll bug Mom and Dad to make it, lol!  Yes, I forwarded the recipe to both of them, too, lol!

Lean meats and dairy contribute valuable minerals like calcium, iron, selenium and zinc. These are not only essential for building bones, and forming and maintaining nerve function, but also for fighting cancer, forming blood cells and keeping immune systems robust. 
Food Network
ir

Expand your grain repertoire with whole-grain complements, such as kasha, brown rice, wild rice, bulgur or whole-wheat tortillas.
Mayo Clinic
ir

Protein is an important part of every diet and is found in many different foods. Lean protein, the best kind, can be found in fish, skinless chicken and turkey, pork tenderloin and certain cuts of beef, like the top round. 
Food Network
ir

Homemade Marshmallow Crème

30296_RecipeImage_620x413_marshmallow_creme.jpg

Marshmallow crème doesn’t have to come out of a jar, as Shauna Sever, author of dark chocolate ice cream.

Special equipment:  A reliable candy/fat thermometer  is crucial for getting an accurate read on the syrup in this recipe.

Recipe:

Image.gif

[h1]Homemade Marshmallow Fluff[/h1]
Adapted from "Marshmallow Madness!" by Shauna Sever

Image.jpg

TIME/SERVINGS

Total:  30 mins

Makes:  About 2 1/2 cups

INGREDIENTS
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup light corn syrup
1/4 cup water
1/8 teaspoon fine salt
2 large egg whites, at room temperature
1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract

INSTRUCTIONS
1.  Stir together the sugar, corn syrup, water, and salt in a small saucepan over high heat. Bring to a
boil, stirring occasionally, until the mixture reaches 240°F on a candy/fat thermometer.

2.  Place the egg whites and cream of tartar in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a whisk
attachment. Start whipping the egg whites to soft peaks on medium speed. (The goal is to have the
egg whites whipped and ready, waiting for your syrup to be drizzled in. If they’re whipping faster
than your syrup is coming to temperature, just stop the mixer until the syrup is ready.)

3.  When the syrup reaches 240°F, reduce the mixer speed to low and slowly drizzle about 2 tablespoons
of syrup into the egg whites to warm them. (If you add too much syrup at once, the whites will
scramble.) Slowly drizzle in the rest of the syrup. Increase the speed to medium high and whip
until the marshmallow crème is stiff and glossy, about 7 minutes. Add in the vanilla and whip 2
minutes more. Use immediately or refrigerate stored in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks.

SOURCE: http://www.chow.com/recipes/30296-homemade-marshmallow-creme

Made this for Memorial Day and took it to our son's house for him; one big complaint he had coming to Texas is that they didn't have Marshmallow Fluff here, which he loved.  He loved it!  We mocked up a sticker I printed off Google images and pasted to a jar; but I've added a disclaimer to this pic that this is NOT THE Marshmallow Fluff, it is a home made recipe similar to it; not trying to cause any infringements at all:

5ce6994c_MFmock.jpg

1 of 1Copyright [emoji]169[/emoji]2012 CBS Interactive. All Rights Reserved

Last edited:
Drink two glasses of water and eat an ounce of nuts (6 walnuts, 12 almonds or 20 peanuts). Within 20 minutes, this can extinguish your craving and dampen your appetite by changing your body chemistry, says RD's "Health IQ" columnist Michael F. Roizen, MD. 
Reader's Digest
ir

Great stuff.

Drink a glass of milk before every meal. Just like Pops said, liquid and healthy snacks just before eating / cooking will help you shrink your portion.

I just found this post and I have some great tasting food & desert to fit the category.

Exercise is key but you are what you eat.

Lycopene, the plant chemical responsible for the ruby red of tomatoes and watermelon, is believed to fight cancer and promote heart health. 
Food Network
ir

Citrus fruits are loaded with soluble fiber which lowers cholesterol, maintains healthy blood sugar levels, and helps you to manage your weight.
Food Network
ir

While I'm cooking dinner, I end up drinking a couple 16 oz glasses of ice water and that really curbs my appetite. I also take my time when eating and that way I feel full sooner and stop eating as soon as I do. That helps a lot.

I had no idea about the grape juice, I always have a bottle unsweetened grape juice and unsweetened red grapefruit juice in the fridge. Even though I do like an occasional glass of red wine!

Some good stuff here!

To help control portions my wife bought her a food scale. Its helped her a lot. We also cut out a lot of bad things out of our diet. The hard thing for me is changing all my recipes to help her and subsequently my diet. Iv used pulled smoked chicken instead of pp in sammies with a lighter version of the bbq sauce I make on the side. This weekend Im trying a turkey fatty with a grilled salad.

While I'm cooking dinner, I end up drinking a couple 16 oz glasses of ice water and that really curbs my appetite. I also take my time when eating and that way I feel full sooner and stop eating as soon as I do. That helps a lot.

I had no idea about the grape juice, I always have a bottle unsweetened grape juice and unsweetened red grapefruit juice in the fridge. Even though I do like an occasional glass of red wine!

Some good stuff here!
Are you on any antidepressant medications?  Grapefruit Juice (and no other, ONLY grapefruit juice) can mess up antidepressant medications.

Onions are beneficial to health

What would life be like without onions? The onion

has been used as an ingredient in various dishes for thousands of years by many cultures around the world. World onion production is steadily increasing so that onion is now the second most important horticultural crop after tomatoes.

There are many different varieties of onion, red, yellow, white, and green, each with their own unique flavor, from very strong to mildly sweet. Onions can be eaten raw, cooked, fried, dried or roasted. They are commonly used to flavor dips, salads, soups, spreads, stir-fry and other dishes.

Onions (Allium cepa) belong to the lily family, the same family as garlic, leeks, chives, scallions and shallots.There are over 600 species of Allium, distributed all over Europe, North America, Northern Africa and Asia. The plants can be used as ornamentals, vegetables, spices, or as medicine. There are over 120 different documented uses of the Alliums.

Onion and other Allium vegetables are characterized by their rich content of thiosulfinates, sulfides, sulfoxides, and other odoriferous sulfur compounds. The cysteine sulfoxides are primarily responsible for the onion flavor and produce the eye-irritating compounds that induce lacrimation. The thiosulfinates exhibit antimicrobial properties. Onion is effective against many bacteria including Bacillus subtilis, Salmonella, and E. coli. Onion is not as potent as garlic since the sulfur compounds in onion are only about one-quarter the level found in garlic.

The Value of Onions

Onions have a variety of medicinal effects. Early American settlers used wild onions to treat colds, coughs, and asthma, and to repel insects. In Chinese medicine, onions have been used to treat angina, coughs, bacterial infections, and breathing problems.

The World Health Organization (WHO) supports the use of onions for the treatment of poor appetite and to prevent atherosclerosis. In addition, onion extracts are recognized by WHO for providing relief in the treatment of coughs and colds, asthma and bronchitis. Onions are known to decrease bronchial spasms. An onion extract was found to decrease allergy-induced bronchial constriction in asthma patients.

Onions are a very rich source of fructo-oligosaccharides. These oligomers stimulate the growth of healthy bifidobacteria and suppress the growth of potentially harmful bacteria in the colon. In addition, they can reduce the risk of tumors developing in the colon.

Cardiovascular Help

Onions contain a number of sulfides similar to those found in garlic which may lower blood lipids and blood pressure. In India, communities that never consumed onions or garlic had blood cholesterol and triglyceride levels substantially higher, and blood clotting times shorter, than the communities that ate liberal amounts of garlic and onions. Onions are a rich source of flavonoids, substances known to provide protection against cardiovascular disease. Onions are also natural anticlotting agents since they possess substances with fibrinolytic activity and can suppress platelet-clumping. The anticlotting effect of onions closely correlates with their sulfur content.

Cancer Prevention

Onion extracts, rich in a variety of sulfides, provide some protection against tumor growth. In central Georgia where Vidalia onions are grown, mortality rates from stomach cancer are about one-half the average level for the United States. Studies in Greece have shown a high consumption of onions, garlic and other allium herbs to be protective against stomach cancer.

Chinese with the highest intake of onions, garlic, and other Allium vegetables have a risk of stomach cancer 40 percent less than those with the lowest intake. Elderly Dutch men and women with the highest onion consumption (at least one-half onion/day) had one-half the level of stomach cancer compared with those consuming no onions at all.

Western Yellow, New York Bold, and Northern Red onions have the richest concentration of flavonoids and phenolics, providing them with the greatest antioxidant and anti-proliferative activity of 10 onions tested. The mild-tasting Western White and Vidalia onions had the lowest antioxidant content and lowest anti-proliferative activity. The consumer trend to increasingly purchase the less pungent, milder onion varieties may not be the best, since the onions with a stronger flavor and higher astringency appear to have superior health-promoting properties.

Use and Safety

Onions have a universal appeal. They are safely consumed by most people. However, consuming large quantities of onions can lead to stomach distress and gastrointestinal irritation that may result in nausea and diarrhea. There are no known interactions with drugs except that they can potentiate the action of anticoagulants.

Conclusion

Onions, and other Allium species, are highly valued herbs possessing culinary and medicinal value. Some of their beneficial properties are seen after long-term usage. Onion may be a useful herb for the prevention of cardiovascular disease, especially since they diminish the risk of blood clots. Onion also protects against stomach and other cancers, as well as protecting against certain infections. Onion can improve lung function, especially in asthmatics. The more pungent varieties of onion appear to possess the greatest concentration of health-promoting phytochemicals.

Author: Winston Craig, MPH, PhD, RD.  

I was surfing ,out of boredom, and found a good YAWYE discussion . Vert interesting and it seems to say BBQed meat is a food to help maintain a normal Insulin level.  This is a good read...

http://diabetes.webmd.com/features/diabetic-diet-6-foods-control-blood-sugar

Hope you had a great 4th. , have a great weekend and ...

REMEMBER TO SMOKE HAPPY  :)-
STAN - aka -  OLDSCHOOLBBQ

Article:  (Thank you so much, oldschoolbbq!)

Diabetic Diet: 6 Foods That May Help Control Blood Sugar

While there's no substitute for a balanced diabetic diet, adding certain foods may help those with diabetes keep sugar levels in check.

Save This Article For Later

Share this:

Font size:AAA

By Katherine Kam

WebMD Feature Reviewed by John A. Seibel, MD

Coffee and cinnamon have made headlines recently as foods that might be able to cut the risk of diabetes or help to improve blood sugar levels. But don't get the idea that such foods are magic bullets for your diabetic diet, experts warn.

"None of this is a magic potion for diabetes," says American Dietetic Association spokeswoman Cathy Nonas, RD. It's still important for people with diabetes to eat a balanced diabetic diet and exercise to help manage the disease, she says.

Traveling With Diabetes

If you have diabetes, traveling requires extra planning. Changes in meal patterns, activity levels, and time zones can affect your blood sugar levels with diabetes. That's why it's important to have some key reminders to make traveling with diabetes much easier:

Read the Traveling With Diabetes article > >

Nevertheless, some foods, such as white bread, are converted almost right away to blood sugar, causing a quick spike. Other foods, such as brown rice, are digested more slowly, causing a lower and gentler change in blood sugar.

If you are trying to follow a healthy diabetic diet, here are six that may help to keep your blood sugar in check.

Oatmeal

Oatmeal can help control blood sugar -- but don't get the sweetened kind.

"Even though it's a carbohydrate, it's a very good carbohydrate," American Dietetic Association spokeswoman Marisa Moore, RD, LD, tells WebMD. Because it's high in soluble fiber, "it's slower to digest and it won't raise your blood sugar as much or as quickly. It's going to work better at controlling blood sugar over time."

Not only does this high-quality carbohydrate offer a steadier source of energy than white bread, it can also help with weight loss. The soluble fiber in oats "helps to keep us feeling fuller longer," Moore says.

That's important for people with type 2 diabetes, who tend to be overweight. "If you reduce the weight, you usually significantly improve the glucose control," Nonas says.

Barley isn't as popular as oats. But there's some evidence that barley, which is also high in soluble fiber, may also help with blood glucose control. Kay Behall, PhD, a research nutritionist at the USDA Beltsville Human Nutrition Research Center, has studied barley, and she suggests that people try eating boiled pearl barley in place of rice.

Besides oats and barley, Moore adds, "most whole grains are going to be a great choice for a person with diabetes."

Broccoli, Spinach, and Green Beans

Add plenty of nonstarchy vegetables, such as broccoli, spinach, and green beans, to your diabetic diet, diabetes experts say. These foods are high in fiber and low in carbohydrates, which make them ideal for people with diabetes.

In contrast, starchy vegetables include peas, potatoes, corn, winter squash, and lima beans. There's no need to cut them from the diet, Moore says. "They do give us additional nutrients. We want to maintain balance." But because starchy vegetables have more carbohydrates and raise blood sugar more, it's important to stick to proper portion sizes, she says.

There's new evidence, too, that vegetables are healthy for people with diabetes.

Broccoli, Spinach, and Green Beans continued...

Researchers have found that a low-fat vegan diet may help type 2 diabetes patients to better manage their disease. In a study published in DiabetesCare, 43% of people with type 2 diabetes who followed a low-fat vegan diet for 22 weeks reduced the need to take diabetes medications. That's compared to only 26% who adhered to the diet recommended by the American Diabetes Association.

On average, the vegan group also lost more weight and lowered levels of bad cholesterol. Because people with diabetes are more prone to heart disease, eating with heart health in mind matters as much as blood sugar control, Moore says.

Strawberries

Some diabetes patients shy away from strawberries because of their sweetness, says Moore. But a cup of strawberries makes for a healthy snack that won't raise blood sugar too much. They're a much better option than a cookie or candy bar.

"They're pretty low in calories and carbohydrates," she says. What's more, strawberries are high in fiber and water, so people will feel fuller longer. The longer that people with diabetes can stay full, the fewer carbohydrates they'll consume overall, she says.

Salmon and Lean Meats

Meats, which are high in protein, don't affect blood sugar as much as carbohydrates, Nonas says. When eaten in proper portions, fish, skinless chicken breast, and lean cuts of meat are good choices for diabetic diets.

Moore says salmon is an especially smart option because it also contains heart-healthy omega-3 fatty acids. And 65% of people with diabetes die from either heart attack or stroke," she says.

Meat is also a source of chromium, a mineral that enables insulin to function properly and helps the body to metabolize carbohydrates.

Some people with type 2 diabetes take chromium picolinate supplements to try to keep blood sugar under control. But according to the National Center for Complementary and Alternative Medicine, there's not enough evidence to show that the supplements actually help.

Sparkling Water

Trying to break a sugary soda habit? Or just tired of guzzling diet sodas day after day?

Go for sugar-free sparkling waters, Moore says. The carbonated beverages come in various flavors, including tangerine, grapefruit, and apple-pear. "They take away the desire for something bubbly," she says.

Many sparkling waters have no carbohydrates or calories -- a boon not just for blood sugar levels, but weight control, too.

Cinnamon

Cinnamon has been in the news lately as a spice that may have insulin-like effects and help reduce blood sugar levels in people with diabetes. 

In a recent German study, researchers randomly assigned 79 patients who had type 2 diabetes into two groups. For four months, the test group took a cinnamon extract three times a day, while the control group took a placebo. At the end, those on the cinnamon extract had lowered their fasting blood sugar levels by 10.3%, compared to 3.4% for the control group. The scientists concluded that the cinnamon extract seemed to have a moderate effect in reducing blood sugar levels in diabetes patients, especially among those who had more trouble controlling blood sugar.

Before doctors can start recommending cinnamon for diabetes, more studies need to be done. But Moore says it certainly can't hurt to sprinkle the aromatic spice regularly onto your morning oatmeal.

Further Reading:

Slideshow: 12 Lifestyle Tips to Avoid Diabetes Complications

10 Diabetes Diet Myths

Is One Diabetes Diet Better Than Others?

Facial Fracture

Successful Dieting Diabetics Do Well

4 Systems for Diabetes Meal Planning

Stock Your Kitchen for Diabetes Health

See All Diabetes Diet Topics

Top Picks

Diabetes Warning Signs and Risk Factors

Dos and Don'ts: Diabetes and Alcohol Consumption

Slideshow: Managing Your Blood Sugar

Diabetes and Your Sex Life Quiz

Is Your Type 2 Diabetes Under Control?

Slideshow: Understanding Type 1 Diabetes

Last edited:
Whole wheat and oats retain their fiber-rich bran and germ, they safeguard against the insulin surges that refined carbohydrates cause.  Quaker Steel-Cut Oats[emoji]174[/emoji] are a good example.
'
ir

I have switched to steel-cut oats myself, they have a coarser, nuttier taste that is enjoyable.  They are a full-cook oatmeal; about 20-25 minutes, worth waiting for!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky