Not new to cheese, but first attempt w/ new tool

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

un4gvn1

Original poster
Dec 5, 2014
Junction City, Oregon
Because I have a hard time buying anything I can build, I present to you my first attempt at a smoke tube. It's roughly 2" around & 12" long.

IMG-1317.jpg

When I got it home, I filled it with pellets & put the Bernzomatic to it. It gave about 3 1/2 - 4 hours of smoke.

Having proved it would burn out & having "burned out" any trace oils, etc I decided a test was in order.

IMG-1324.jpg

This is some "white" cheeses I had left over from some fatties that happened a couple of weeks ago. The top rack is pepper jack, the bottom is mozzarella and monterey jack.

I pulled the chip pan out of my propane smoker, laid the tube across the chip pan bracket & touched it off. Cheese was 20+" above tube. Sorry, no pics of the smoke in progress.

Final result...

IMG-1326.jpg

Even with that distance, things got a wee bit warm...

IMG-1330.jpg

What you can't see from this pic, is the piece of cheese on the far right (lower) has protruded through the grate enough to make removal difficult.

Verdict, cheese took a nice smoke flavor, but the heat toughened the surface a bit. I little time resting should improve the product. I'm already thinking something like a mailbox mod might be in order. :emoji_smiling_imp:

Definitely took on some good color. What type of smoker did you use?

Nice job on the cheese, and the tube.

Point for sure.
Chris

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky