Not a clue in Savannah

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

saltydawgsav

Original poster
Dec 16, 2009
Ok, im really green when it comes to smoking meat. I have a weber propane grill and have never smoked a thing in my life. Heck, I have only cooked on charcoal by myself twice. So what do I do, I ask for a smoker for my Bday and the wife picks up the ol' Brinkman SnG. When I say Im green, other than getting some charcoal lit, i dont have a clue. I have been doing some research and a couple of things seem to stand out.

1) Most of this seems like trial and error

2) Can u just use wood in a brinkman or do I need to use charcoal and wood chips on top?

3) How much charcoal to get started?

4) How often should you add charcoal / wood?

I appreciate the help in advance and look forward to being an active member.

Thanks,

Jeff B

First Off

Welcome to the family, glad you found us

You will find a ton of good information floating around in here

Don't be afraid to ask questions and remember, the only stupid question is the one you didn't ask.

Check out the 5 day ecourse it is definitely worth it

So Now on to your questions

1. Yes a lot is trial and error, at least that is how I learned, then I found this site and a lot of the nice folks on here can help get you through the trial and error with less error

2. I have never cooked on the pit you ask about but I am sure someone on here has and can help more. Me, I would think if you can use charcoal....you can surely use small wood chunks

3. I generally use a full chimney of charcoal, but it really depends on what I am cooking

4. as often as it is needed in order to not loose your heat, this is trial and error.

Hope some of this helps, if not someone will be along shortly that can .

Good luck and Happy smokes

Welcome Jeff.
Like yourself I had only grilled a few times in my life, didn't even own a grill when I got my first smoker and just jumped with both feet in, made a few mistakes and many successes which have continued to get better with practice and help from all the great members of the site.

It is only Trial and error when you first start, before long you will be prepping and smoking briskets and other things like you have been doing it for years.

You can use just wood but I like to start with a chimney of charcoals nice and hot, pour them in and keep the wood close to the heat but until it get hot and burns down enough you don't want it directly on the heat because that will cause too much smoke and flare ups, if you use chips then you might want to try putting them into a packet of foil so they won't burn too quick.

The amount of coals you need to start with will vary by weather and of course you will need to figure out how much to add to maintain ideal temperature.

I burn lots of oak, I use coals only to start with and if I need a boost on heat and other than that I burn mostly oak for my heat source and add other woods for flavor.

You'll want to add more fuel before your temps begin to drop, if the fire cools too much it will cool very quickly and fluctuating temps can cause your meat to be tough and/or dry so try your best to keep it steady, low and slow.
And good luck!

Hey Salty! Welcome to SMF. This is definitely the place to get your questions answered.

As for your smoker, the SnG (I assume Smoke'n Grill) is affectionately known as the ECB (El Cheapo Brinkmann) around here. If you do a search for "ECB Modifications", "Cooking with the ECB", "ECB Help", or simply "ECB"... you will discover tons of posts from those of us that have used them. I recently acquired one to tinker with and I am still learning how to use it efficiently. Every type of smoker is an entirely different adventure. Look for advise from those that use them.

Here is a link to instructions on how and why to modify your ECB.

http://www.smoking-meat.com/modify-b...cb-smoker.html

I bought mine brand new a couple of weeks ago and performed these mods right away. It will make it a much better performer.

Good luck!

Welcome, Glad to have you with us. This is the place to learn, lots of good info and helpful friendly Members.

For Those of you New to Smoking, be sure to check out Jeff's 5 Day Smoking Basics eCourse.
Click Here it's "FREE"... 5 Day eCourse

Everyone here enjoys seeing the Qview so be sure to post plenty of pics...

Large ones that us old people with bad eyes can see.

When you uploading to Photobucket I always use the Large IMG setting, 640 x 480 it is a nice size...

How to post Qview to Forum:

For Step By Step Instructions On Posting Qview Check Out This Tutorial

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/for...ad.php?t=82034

Welcome to the SMF.
icon_smile.gif

Hello Jeff,

Ditto, ditto, ditto to what has been said already. You can start with a Boston Butt as they are very forgiving. Temps are of utmost importance as well as caring not to oversmoke. You will get the hang of it as you use your rig. I am certain you will find it very easy to get going in the art and heritage of barbecue. You will become a smokey hero in no time to all your friends. Keep reading this forum and asking questions as you have them. You will find many friendly folks here.

I work in Sav but live a bit further north now. I used to live in Effingham for a long time and probably will again. The drive is killing me. Good to have you.

I appreciate the guidance. i have started the 5 day course and i am hoping to do my first BB this weekend. hope to post pictures. i do wish this thing had smell o vision.
icon_smile.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky