(North Carolina) Hot Sauces

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

beachbunny

Original poster
Apr 20, 2015
San Diego, CA
Anyone from NC have an opinion on the best local hot sauces? Or, perhaps not even NC but YOUR best local hot sauces?

My dad is one of those guys who has everything he wants and, if he doesn't, can go get it himself... Making him friggin' impossible on Fathers Day, heh. His roots are Charlotte, NC and he is the BBQ Mastah who loves him some good hot sauce. He's partial to vinegar-based ones instead of the sweet ones. I was thinking I have enough time to special order some to be shipped out here. 

You're a nice daughter! Carolina Pig Polish has a hot variety. It's not vinegar based, but cut 50/50 with cider vinegar makes a wonderful vinegar sauce.
It's my brothers company so I might sound biased, but it really is fantastic BBQ sauce. It's sweetened with sorghum and has a wonderful mix of spices. Look up Robin's Specialty Sauces and you can order from his website. I believe it's also available on Amazon.

Md has a good point, you can get a good hot sauce and then cut it with vinegar for BBQ use.

Look up single-variety pepper sauces where it's only habanero or ghost or jalapeno, cayenne, etc. (For example, look at CaJohn's line.)

I'm with your Dad on not wanting sweet - here in Ohio you cannot find an off-the-shelf BBQ sauce that isn't thick with sugar. However you might consider introducing him to some of the sweet Asian pepper sauces, some hotter than others, brushed onto wings or something like that.

Try John boy & Billies, they are radio host from Charlotte that made it big time and have several BBQ sauces.I think they still make it.

Tabasco
icon_exclaim.gif

They still make John Boy and Billies sauce .They make several types. It is called John Boy and Billies Grillin sauce.just google it.hope this helps

Are you looking for a hot BBQ sauce or just a hot pepper sauce? If the latter, Sriracha starts it off. If Dad's a Tar Heel boy, he might want some Texas Pete (which is really made in Winston Salem, NC). When I first moved to Texas, I couldn't find Texas Pete - go figure? Now most supermarkets here have it. Can you get it in CA?

Dad is indeed a Tar Heel. :) And I know I've seen that sauce although they don't keep it at the house. So many great-sounding sauces in this thread! Good ol' Dad is going to be set for the rest of the year! :)

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky