No mop/No injection/No wrap 1st attempt on 8 1/2 lb. Pork Butt

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

GrumpyGriller

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jan 29, 2021
So...I've done a number of butts, but most often with mopping or spritzing starting after hour 2-4. This time I I want to give the no-mop/no-look method a shot.

Here's my plan, but any suggestions, including "it'll be a disaster :)" replies are always appreciated!
  • Fresh pork butt that will be about 8 lbs after some light trimming
  • Rub applied 18-24 hours, wrapped in plastic, then in fridge
    • Yellow mustard as binder
    • Plenty of Adobo Honey Rub (Spiceology) and Voodoo (from Meat Church)
  • Not planning on injecting (though I have Butcher's available)
  • On the Traeger at 225 with Super Smoke and smoke tubes
    • Apple Blend for the pellets
    • Hickory/Cherry in the smoke tubes
  • Finishing sauce (post-pull)
    • 1 cup apple cider vinegar
    • 3 TBS brown sugar
    • 2 TBS salt
    • 2 tsp cayenne
    • 2 tsp red pepper flakes
If I can manage not to peek (at least more than once or twice) - I am wondering if I need to make a mopping sauce and keep it in a pan underneath the butt, just to make sure it stays moist enough.
And finally, while it's done when it's done, I am expecting about 12-15 hours to get to 203-205....I think.

Reactions: JC in GB
Sounds like a plan . I do all my butts with just salt and black pepper . Sometimes just pepper . I pull and season for different meals PP , tacos or what ever . Never have injected or mopped a pork butt .
The only thing is using a pellet grill a mop might be needed towards the end . Sounds like you're thinking the same thing ?

I'd run super smoke for the first couple hours, then bump it up to 275°. I also don't put a temp probe in the meat until several hours into the cook.

Sounds like a plan . I do all my butts with just salt and black pepper . Sometimes just pepper . I pull and season for different meals PP , tacos or what ever . Never have injected or mopped a pork butt .
The only thing is using a pellet grill a mop might be needed towards the end . Sounds like you're thinking the same thing ?
On the mopping - sort of; I am thinking to make the mopping sauce but let it sit in a pan to keep some moisture in overnight, then once I get past the stall, maybe I'd mop it once or twice to keep it from drying out. That's my biggest concern, especially if I am not wrapping etc.

I'd run super smoke for the first couple hours, then bump it up to 275°. I also don't put a temp probe in the meat until several hours into the cook.
Are you not putting in the probe initially for safety concerns or just that it doesn't really matter much for the first few hours what the IT is?

Are you not putting in the probe initially for safety concerns or just that it doesn't really matter much for the first few hours what the IT is?
Both. On large pieces of meat, I don't want to introduce any surface bacteria into the muscle. With an intact muscle, long as the surface temp hits 140° in four hours, you're good. If you pierce the meat with a temp probe at the beginning I believe you are introducing surface bacteria into the muscle, and the 140° IT/4hrs would then apply.

I also don't really need to know the IT until later in the cook so I know when to start probing for tenderness. Temp is just a guide.

Good plan, but same as smokerjim smokerjim and DougE DougE said. above. I run mine on high smoke which is 180 on a rec teq for an hour or two then kick it to 275. no wrap sprits or mop. Pull when probe tender. 225 just take way to long and there is no magic to the temp.

Reactions: 1MoreFord
Good plan, but same as smokerjim smokerjim and DougE DougE said. above. I run mine on high smoke which is 180 on a rec teq for an hour or two then kick it to 275. no wrap sprits or mop. Pull when probe tender. 225 just take way to long and there is no magic to the temp.
Any thoughts on having a mopping liquid in the smoker or not needed?

I don't ever mop. I just pack the rub on for a good bark. IMO, all mopping does is make the cook take longer since you're letting heat out every time you open the lid.

Reactions: 1MoreFord
I don't ever mop. I just pack the rub on for a good bark. IMO, all mopping does is make the cook take longer since you're letting heat out every time you open the lid.
Sorry - my question wasn't clear (oops) - I don't plan to mop, but do you think i need the liquid sitting in a pan just so there's additional moisture?

Sorry - my question wasn't clear (oops) - I don't plan to mop, but do you think i need the liquid sitting in a pan just so there's additional moisture?
I don't use a water pan in my pellet grill. I do use one in offsets where the firebox dumps into the cook chamber to act as a deflector, but I never have in my pellet grill.

Waste of mopping liquid. There's a common misconception that liquid in a smoker will keep the meat moist. Nope. It has absolutely NOTHING to do with keeping the inside of a pork butt, brisket, or any large cut of meat, especially collagen-filled meat, moist inside.

What it will do is cause hotter steam to condense on the outside of the cooler meat. If you have a fire that isn't burning clean, you'll get nasty-tasting particulates that will stick to the meat. If the fire is burning clean, you'll enhance the smoke flavor and bring you to the next point.

Mopping is only for one reason; to add a flavor profile to the meat on a clean-burning fire. I never mop or add liquid to my smokers. Meat comes out juicy and succulent when it probes tender.

If you have any doubt about water and meat, submerge a hunk of collagen-filled meat in beef broth and cook it on the stove for an hour. Then cut a piece off and taste it. It will be cooked, but will taste dry and tough because the collagen hasn't melted from heat applied over time.

The results are in 😄.
Ran @ 225 w/ super smoke starting at 8:30 pm. Lid wasn't open until 1:30 pm, though it was tough not to peek!!! I ramped up to 275 at 12 pm, and it was ready by 1:30 pm for one butt, and 2 pm for the other. Served with JJ's Caolina finishing sauce and a honey bbq sauce, both on the side. Pics attached, along with the other items, and a yummy from scratch cookie & cream cake.

97E11A5D-4E22-4B9D-A052-2A89B524168D.jpeg 7B389139-C0CE-4E0E-97AC-A3166CAA0C6A.jpeg 95F162D3-77C1-4642-8D5D-530FC1E7A986.jpeg E4BAB17B-58BA-4344-8F9F-5C4002F03EEB.jpeg BF05C58E-9DD5-4F33-9AE2-D57011C9C551.jpeg D17C922B-ECB4-4454-8437-1E735BBB345B.jpeg

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky