Newbie here, from South Louisiana.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Guidry

Original poster
Jan 20, 2024
Hello from Louisiana. New to forum, excited to learn new things and how everyone drives their smokers.
I've been smoking for about 5years, but still use a charcoal pit with fire box. Too much work! Getting material together to build a bigger more user friendly model.
You folks have some Awesome smokers!

Reactions: JLeonard
Greetings and welcome to the community.
This is a friendly place, feel free to ask questions.

Welcome from Mississippi! We got quite a few of you Louisiana folks on board here. Look forward to your posts and pics!

Jim

You have probably mentioned it before. But I can't remember... where abouts did you grow up?
Born and raised in Lafayette. Moved to BR for work in '86. Currently live in Erwinville, about 10 min west of BR.
And you?

Reactions: indaswamp
The wife is from Zwolle on the shore of Toledo Bend .......... Home of the Zwolle Tamale festival.

Born and raised in Lafayette. Moved to BR for work in '86. Currently live in Erwinville, about 10 min west of BR.
And you?
Any relation to Gator(Louisiana lighting)?

Welcome to the forums.

Chris

You have probably mentioned it before. But I can't remember... where abouts did you grow up?
La Salle, Caldwell (born), Ouachita and Morehouse Parish. I split time between Jena and Grayson until I was about 7, then to West Monroe and Swartz until about 10, then to Bastrop until I was 13. Mom never could hold onto a place long. Bartender by trade, alcoholic for a hobby so Great Gran had me most of the time.

Family owned land in Calcasieu near Lake Charles but they sold it right before I was born nad moved to Jena, Grayson, and Columbia (my Great Gran, her sisters). Every few years we moved farther up 165 and the Ouachita river. Dad's side of the family was mostly from Monroe and Baton Rouge but I never knew them. I think Mom met Dad in Monroe. I never got much info about his folks, they divorced right after he got back from Vietnam. Mom always said he came back certified nuts. He was gone before I was born. Mom got a place in Baton Rouge very briefly so that was technically as far south as I lived - but it was only for like a month. I think they were trying to reconcile a bit but c'est la vie-

Oddly enough between 13 and when I moved to SC I also lived on the Ouachita River in Arkansas. Grandpa had a place 10 minute walk though the woods to it. It was about 10-15 feet wide and 1-2 feet deep lol. I couldn't jump over it but I could damn near spit across it!

Last edited:
The wife is from Zwolle on the shore of Toledo Bend .......... Home of the Zwolle Tamale festival.
Tamales are one of Louisiana's best and greatest secrets. There used to be this little dump that sold them out of washtubs in Mer Rouge and they were one of my favorite foods. I had an uncle that would buy them by the dozen and we'd eat on them for a couple of days.

Reactions: DougE
Tamales are one of Louisiana's best and greatest secrets. There used to be this little dump that sold them out of washtubs in Mer Rouge and they were one of my favorite foods. I had an uncle that would buy them by the dozen and we'd eat on them for a couple of days.
Most of the old folks who made and sold tamales around Zwolle have quit (or died) and what you get from those selling them now are nowhere as good. The wife used to come back with dozens upon dozens in coolers when she goes to see her mom. Not so in the last few years.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky