new WSM on its way!!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
rdwhahb - I got my WSM22.5 about 3 years ago and did some mods to it.

1.  drilled a hole in each of the 3 legs at the bottom and installed locking caster wheels (don't go too small)

2.  I installed 2 more handles on opposing sides of the main barrel - this helps so I can rotate the main barrel 180° so I can stoke wood onto the fire from the other side.

3.  Bought some high temp sealing tape to put around the charcoal/water pan door and lid where it sits down into the main barrel to make it even more smoke efficient.  I did not put tape where the main barrel meets the bottom section.

I bought a new charcoal starter and I took the insert out of my old charcoal starter and I now use it for the minion method (hard to find big enough aluminum/tin cans).  

I put a mixture of water and cheap apple juice in the water pan and keep an eye on it so it doesn't run dry during the cook.

I prefer my wood to have less than 20% moisture content when I put it on the hot coals - if it's below 12%, I'll soak it in a 5-gal. bucket of water for 30-45 minutes before putting it on the hot coals.  Moisture meters are cheap and easy to use.  Mine is a General model.  I also purchased a Maverick Redi-Chek remote smoker thermometer which monitors the smoking chamber temp and the meat internal temp.

I can smoke four 10-lb. briskets on my WSM.

You know what they say Redfin.  Pictures or it never happened 
banana_smiley.gif

Here's my two smokers (Brinkman side fire box and WSM22.5)

I installed locking casters to the legs and 2 handles to the cooking chamber of the WSM.  I'm replacing the high temp seal around the door and the lid - you can see a little bit of the seal on the left side of the door (blue color).

Last edited:
N2BBQ - been dry as a bone here until this past Friday when we finally got some rain.  Just not enough to make a trickle for any of the lakes - the ground soaked it all up.

Need to get the covers off both smokers for some air time.

Hi all in the USA,

I can't help but comment, as the smaller WSM started my retirement smoking cooking hobby. You are so lucky in the USA to be able to get them for the price.

Here in Australia they are asking for a fee of  $750-00 and I imported it for $ 350-00 a few years ago. But they now make you jump through the hoops to import one into OZ.

I reckon they will be burying me with mine as if there are plenty of coals in Hell i may just cook my way out of the joint.....
drool.gif

Any way you fella's enjoy your smokin' and all the best from us down under.

Hi Redfinjim,

Roo meat is very similar to beef, and if you didn't know it was on the plate you would most likely never know.

It is actually better than beef due to not having Cholesterol etc same as deer meat. Also a lot less susceptible to deceases.

I actually was in Darwin a couple of months ago (tropical area), and tried some crocodile and I wouldn't bother with it again. Mild chicken flavour and not a nice texture.

dieseltojo -

Sounds edible incredible - high protein, low cholesterol with bounce!

I assumed croc would taste like our alligator which is pretty dang good.

Wife and I have been looking to make a trip down under since we retired and BBQ Roo is mighty tempting.

~ Jim

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky