New to smoking-need suggestions

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Nwin23

Original poster
Oct 5, 2019
Hi-new to smoking and want to jump in.

from the research I’ve done, I’m currently between propane or electric.

I know for electrics that Masterbuilt seems to be the go-to brand and the AMAZN pellet thing is definitely required, but I need some more help. I think bear carver or someone may have the info I’m looking for.

I think I might just go for the 30 series. It’s my wife and I, and mostly I’ll do chicken thighs or some ribs or a spatchcocked chicken, definitely going to do wings. We might have a few people over where I’d do pulled pork if I get good enough. Right now I don’t see a 40 being justified, but I could be talked into it.

my budget is around $250. I believe for an electric I want digital instead of analog. I’m in Virginia and would like to be able to smoke in the winter, so insulation is important as well.

I guess a few questions:

-what model would you recommend based on the above? Is this something I could get through amazon or am I likely to find a better deal elsewhere at a brick and mortar store?

-there seems to be a few posts where these just break or the wiring goes faulty after a while. Is that the case and they just aren’t built well?

-what mods do I need to do? I’m a perfectionist so I don’t mind spending some extra money, but I want to know what I’m jumping into.

-how expensive are these things to run in the winter? I’m not crazy about my electricity bill going through the roof.

also, not specifically related to the electric sub forum, but if I went with propane, would that get me a smoke ring? It seems I could go with propane and eliminate the trouble the electric smokers seem to have.

thanks and I look forward to the responses!

Welcome to SMF

You've done your homework.

Since you seem interested in a smaller smoker, keep in mind that you may need to cut the slabs in half for them to fit into a smaller smoker. If that is a deal breaker then go for a 40 inch.

You will not get a smoke ring with an electric smoker, though lacking a smoke ring will not affect flavor.

A lot of the MES users here on the forum do use the AMAZEN tray since it gives a more consistant smoke without having to reload chips. I personally do not use one now for hot smokes since my smoker has a separate heating element for the chip tray. However, I am considering one for cold smoking cheese etc.

One thing to keep in mind about propane smokers is that stock set ups can be difficult when trying to maintain lower temps. A lot of guys here use needle valves to remedy that.

As far as your electric bill, the amount is small and I smoke two to three times a week . I chose electric over propane becasue the last thing I needed was another propane tank to fill.

As for problems etc with electric smokers, no smoker is really trouble free.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
I have a mes 30 for a couple years now, no problems yet! I use the amnps with the mailbox, yeah I have to cut ribs in 1/2 to smoke or you could stand them on edge and make a circle with them, I can fit a couple butts at time. I use during winter here in ne pa. electric bill isn't to much more. you will want to get a good thermometer though the factory thermometers are know to be off 0-40 degrees sometimes. it's only me,my wife and son so the 30 is perfect for me.

I used an MES40 and turned out a lot of good Q without the Amazin tray, matter of preference. My only advice would be to go to the 40 not 30. You can always put less or smaller items in the 40 but can’t go more or bigger in the 30. Several of my friends started with a 30 and regretted not having more space

I've told this story so many times, but here goes.
I thought the MES30 would be fine, for the same reasons everybody else thinks.
Then I had to cut my Ribs in half. Forget making a Full Brisket.
And then I made 10 pounds of Beef sticks, and could only fit 7 pounds in at one time. (I don't use the bottom rack because it's too close to the heating element.
So after about a year I bought an MES 40, so I spent:
MES 30---------------$130
MES 40---------------$280
------------------------------
Total------------------$410
Minus sale of MES30 $50
Total-------------------$360

If I wouldn't have wasted my $130 on the MES30, the whole Fiasco would have cost me $280, so how much did I "SAVE" by being cheap getting the MES 30?

I would recommend an MES 40 Generation 2.5 for a price of about $299.

Bear

Reactions: SecondHandSmoker

That is not too much over the OP's budget.
As we all say here on the forums
Buy once, cry once.

Thanks for jumping in Bear. Much appreciated as you are the MES expert here.

I've told this story so many times, but here goes.
I thought the MES30 would be fine, for the same reasons everybody else thinks.
Then I had to cut my Ribs in half. Forget making a Full Brisket.
And then I made 10 pounds of Beef sticks, and could only fit 7 pounds in at one time. (I don't use the bottom rack because it's too close to the heating element.
So after about a year I bought an MES 40, so I spent:
MES 30---------------$130
MES 40---------------$280
------------------------------
Total------------------$410
Minus sale of MES30 $50
Total-------------------$360

If I wouldn't have wasted my $130 on the MES30, the whole Fiasco would have cost me $280, so how much did I "SAVE" by being cheap getting the MES 30?

Bear
You make some good points. Do you have a link to a generation 2.5?

I'm wondering if this would be one?
https://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/ma...gIqcfD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds#repChildCatid=4903505

You make some good points. Do you have a link to a generation 2.5?

I'm wondering if this would be one?
https://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/ma...gIqcfD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds#repChildCatid=4903505

The link you posted is a Hybrid, with a Gen 2.5 interior & a Gen #1 exterior with the top vent on the wrong side (Right).

Below is a Gen #2.5 MES 40 for $299:
https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/masterbuilt-bluetooth-electric-smoker-mes-340g-mb20075118?cm_mmc=SEM-_-Bing-_-DynamicAllSite-_-AllSiteTSCExtAd&msclkid=4ef9ff3070e01b0cf887a2a98369843e&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Dynamic All Site&utm_term=tractorsupply&utm_content=All Site TSC

NOTE: I would consider their "Power Plus Protection Plan". With all the chances for problems within the first 2 years, it could very well be worth it on this one.

Bear

Last edited:
Love my MES 30... it’s an early first gen... I cook for 2 people... It was cheap and I was a newbie.. I have an extra element and extra control panel... control panels are 29.99 from Masterbuilt...
If I was just starting out now, I would by the MES 40 2.5....
Then have a WSM or mini WSM with IQ 130 on the side...

my 2 cents. I just had to replace an old analog smoker with a new one and wanted a 40" but started to question getting a 30". I did this whole back and forth thing for a couple weeks and got some more input on this forum. Save yourself time and money in the long run and get a 40"

For $250-$300 you shouldn't have any problem finding a 40" smoker and if its only 1/2 full it still works just fine but if you ever need the extra space you have it.

Checkout Bearcarver's Posts:

https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t...cognition-pictures-info-digital-units.246300/

https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/masterbuilt-smokers-bear’s-thoughts-findings.235820/

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky