New to smokers

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

galahir950

Original poster
Aug 31, 2012
South East U.S.
Hello, I live in the Carolinas, I am 17 and my name is Ryan. My father has alway wanted a smoker, but has never been able to store one or afford one, more on that later. This past weekend we bought a Masterforge Electric smoker that I am in the process of seasoning right now. We are both new to smoking, so everything is going to be a learning expirience. We are no strangers to grilling though and we routinely grill together. The reason he has been unable to afford a smoker is because I was born with a congenital heart defect called a Double Outlet Right Ventricle. I will not bore you by including every detail, only an overview. I was born in 1995 and I was in and out of surgery for 4-5 years. It was smoothish sailing until I was 12-13 when I developed Protein-Losing Enteropathy because of the DORV and even after that it was fairly smooth sailing. Then came my freshman year of high school when my PLE got really bad, I was out about 1 quarter of the school year. Last year, my sophomore year I was out a semester. This year, my junior year, my PLE is really bad so I have to be out all year because I have to get a heart transplant, it could take 4-6 months to get a heart and we can't risk infections before and after the transplant. I try to eat very lean meats, so that is what we grill and what we want to smoke.

Regards, 
Ryan

HI Ryan! 
welcome1.gif
to SMF!!! We're happy you found us! You've come to the right place, we have over 40,000 members and over 800,000 posts so you should be able to find almost anything you want to know. Remember the search bar at the top can be your best friend for finding answers fast!

You might want to check out Jeff's Free 5 day E-course it will teach you all the basics and a whole lot more!

HI Ryan! :welcome1: to SMF!!! We're happy you found us! You've come to the right place, we have over 40,000 members and over 800,000 posts so you should be able to find almost anything you want to know. Remember the search bar at the top can be your best friend for finding answers fast!
You might want to check out Jeff's Free 5 day E-course it will teach you all the basics and a whole lot more!

Thanks for the tips, I already got my first E-Course email. It is very well written.

Regards,
Ryan

Hello Ryan and 
welcome1.gif
 to SMF - glad to have you here - great to see someone you age learning to cook

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky