New (to me) Pecan Shell pellets?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Chasdev

Master of the Pit
Original poster
Jan 18, 2020
Saw a Youtube yesterday showing a new pellet that's made entirely out of pecan shell material!
Poster did a head to head comparison cooking two briskets, one with well a known hickory pellet brand and the new pecan pellets, to check out the bark and wood smoke taste differences.
According to the tester, the pecan pellets won hands down in terms of wood smoke flavor in the bark and wood smoke smell overall in the meat.
Company is smokinpecan(at)gmail.com.
I ordered a 20 lb box for $33.00
Probably proves I'm addicted to the search for more wood smoke flavor out of my CampChef 24.
Next up on the list is to try burning mini-sticks in a small tray along with three lit briquettes.
I liked that idea more but the CampChef 24 is limited size wise.

Have you tried using a smoke tube with pellets and chips? Works fairly well. On big cuts I have started doing low smoke overnight which I have become a big fan of. Get up in morning and finish it off. I also use the tube when I start it. Just got done with pork butt from last night and wow is it good. Finished in dutch oven and used broth to put back into meat.

Pecan shells(not pellets) are plentiful here. Ran smoker test adding pecan shells to the fire. They burned really hot. Good smoke.

I would suggest you make a blend of your pecan shell pellets with Hickory pellets. The smoke flavor is really good. Kind of a sweet smoke. Pecan and Hickory were meant for each other. A very common blend in BBQ joints in places where both woods are plentiful.

Interesting. I've always liked the taste of pecan smoked foods I've have out to eat, but until recently not made any at home. Bought a bag of pitboss pecan blend a while back and recently decided to start using them. Gotta say it's pretty good. I've been mixing it with straight cherry pellets, and that is working nicely.
I too run a camp chef dlx24... But man, $33 for 20lbs is a bit steep. I remember trying knottywood plum pellets after watching a YouTube video blind taste test with briskets. I posted a thread about my experience with those pellets. Either way, I'm curious about pecan shell pellets so keep us posted.

Reactions: Schwarzwald Metzger
I used to get four 5 gallon buckets full of pecan husks/ shells from the shelling plant for free. It doesn't take much to turn out some killer BBQ, using a few handfuls thrown on the coals for the first few hours of smoke to get plenty of flavor off of them. My favorite wood combo of all time is oak wood with pecan husks. It'll turn a Specklebelly goose/ Speck, Sprig/ Pintail, Mallard, or a fat Wood duck into a meal fit for a King. They do spike the temp of the fire up for a few minutes, though because they burn like Frito corn chips. LOL!!!

Time for me to look.
Pecan good for sausage.

Found and ordered.

I decided to take a chance and ordered myself some pecan shell pellets.Hopefully they're delivered before next Saturday as I'll be smoking a 10lb porkloin for a toy drive on that Sunday.Would love to try these as I've heard nothing but good things about them.

Also curious as to how they'll burn as dust in a modded tube.

Also curious as to how they'll burn as dust in a modded tube.

I'd think they'd burn hot with all the oil. But interested as well as to how that works out.

So they arrived today and I'll do a small burn test with dust and see how it goes and then I'll be doing that pork loin Sunday.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky