New project in the making..........Looking for advice .....Modified 10/21/12 with video and now with

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

shoneyboy

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Nov 3, 2010
Denham Springs La
I've been wanting to try my hand at cold smoke for a while now.....My son and I built this..... I've been buying my wood from a guy that sells fire wood. He's been giving me some good prices on wood, but it is cut for a fire place. I over sized the pipe so I don"t have to cut the pieces down very much.  We are going to give it a try Sunday !!! Sunday !!!! Sunday !!! ( In my monster truck announcer voice)
th_HaHAAHaa.gif
We have a little more work to do on it tomorrow, but I had to try it out tonight.....Oh !! I can't wait till Sunday to fire it up !!!! What do you think ??? Advice ??? Thanks ShoneyBoy......

Last edited:
McGyver ain't got shit on you brother.. thinking that's gonna work pretty good... you might find that you need to block your air hole (lighting hole) a little to slow the burn down... then again.. maybe not... good luck with it

Last edited:
Ok, here goes my first run with the cold smoker
51.gif
…….Here are some pictures of it….and I know
icon_redface.gif
,  I didn’t do any modifications other than what you saw in the video,Oh wait !! , I did move it to the side of the smoker……..
th_HaHAAHaa.gif
  I will soon, I just wanted to see how it works first…. .
yahoo.gif
I cured 4 Pork Sirloin Roast and 2 Boston Butt bones 10 days in Pops wet curing recipe..... No fire just cold smoke for now.....I'm going to cold smoke them with some Hickory and Oak for about 3-4 hours then add some heat till I hit a IT of 160........After about 2 hours my temp is still around 75 degrees........
banana_smiley.gif
So here are some pictures........SB

Did you try to use the smoke generator without the fan? It seems to be pumping out too much smoke, no?

Did you try to use the smoke generator without the fan? It seems to be pumping out too much smoke, no?
I had it turned up to much.....after I let it warm up a bit I slowed the fan down and I was able to get TBS then.......

I have been cold smoking some these hams for 4 hours....How long should I continue ? are the going to get any "color" ? They are just barely yellow looking.......Or is that good enough ? I remember Pops telling me that it's best to bring the IT to 160......just to be safe, but that was on BBB.....

Last edited:
Alright, I didn't get any advice on what to do at the 4 hour mark, so I fired up the smoker and brought the IT to 154.....Then I ran out of gas.....So I'm going to have to make sure that no one gets sick. I'll have to eat them all by myself......They picked up some good color and smell great....I'm going to try to allow them to cool till tomorrow before I try some, but it's going to be hard to keep my son out of them.....Here are some Q-views......

6 little piggies getting some color.....Wait 1 is missing !!!

Tried to escape !!! Caught it !!!!

The ones in the back wanted there pictures taken too.......

Here they are...all piled up to cool....I cold smoked them for 4 hours then hot smoked them for 2  hours to get them to 160.....I'm want to get them in the refrigerator, but my son has been eying them pretty hard
52.gif
......I may have to fry a little piece to try with him......
drool.gif
....SB

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky