New products from Kingsford

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

912smoker

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Nov 29, 2020
Statesboro Ga
Last edited:
Sounds interesting. The article said they add more Limestone? To adjust the burn time and temp? I use the regular Kingsford sometimes, it burns a little slower than some other brands. I tried the Hickory flavored once and didn't notice any flavor difference.

Interesting. How can a briquette burn hotter or slower? So, the snake method will burn even slower?

Sounds interesting. The article said they add more Limestone? To adjust the burn time and temp? I use the regular Kingsford sometimes, it burns a little slower than some other brands. I tried the Hickory flavored once and didn't notice any flavor difference.
Yep, crushed limestone and mixing of different woods changes the burn rate and temperature.
The amount of ash from briquette versus lump gives one an idea how much limestone is added.

No coal dust listed

From the Kingsford SDS
Charcoal 70 - 90%
Limestone < 20%
Wood dust, all soft and hard woods < 10%
Sodium tetraborate decahydrate 0.1-0.9%
I remember 10 or 20 years back they listed coal dust. And I never liked the flavor. Kept me off off briquettes until I discovered B&B about 5 years ago. Before that I just used wood or lump charcoal.

Reactions: JLeonard
As of 2016 it had “mineral carbon” listed, we know that as coal mined from underground. Here from Wiki

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kingsford_(charcoal)
Henry Ford started Kingsford and used the resources he had on hand. Trimmings of wood from car manufacturing and he also owned a coal mine for other manufacturing needs. He combined those. That was the beginning of the Kingsford bbq briquette.

Had to run to town today and looked at the local WM and ACE but didn't have it in stock. But I did pick up a bag of Blues Hog Lump. In my 3rd bag and like the size. Not as many rocks as RO.

Keith

Our Costco carries it, check yours if you have one.
I haven't tried it yet, I still have a few bags of B&B comp, char logs to go through. I don't go through much charcoal this time of year, I get lazy and use the Camp Chef pellet grill or the oven.

Reactions: 912smoker
Grabbed a bag of each today. Gave the high heat a burn today. The briquets looked like the wood flavored ones I've had.
20240218_165331.jpg
20240218_165320.jpg

Sams had some tenderloin tails with a yellow tag price of 30 bucks to try them.
20240218_175421.jpg
20240218_181527.jpg

My plate.
20240218_183339.jpg

Attachments

• 20240218_175407.jpg
    20240218_175407.jpg
    253.5 KB · Views: 3
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky