New Pecos biscuit test

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

SmokeyX

Original poster
Jul 22, 2020
Amarillo, Texas
So, even though I've already got a couple of cooks under my belt with the new Pecos, I decided to use the little bit of wood and lump I had left sitting around to run a biscuit test so I could see where my hot spots are in the cook chamber. I'm running the factory firebox plate as a makeshift convection plate in the cook chamber. It's all but flush with the deflection plate coming in from the firebox.

I'd have liked to run the test a bit longer, but I was down to just enough lump to fill a chimney starter, a half-bag of hickory chunks and no logs of any kind. But, you work with what you have, so I fired her up and ran the temp up to 300-310, after which time it settled down to right at 275. I was able to hold it at 275 for close to 45 minutes before I was out of fuel.

I have to admit the results, while encouraging, weren't what I was expected.

I was surprised to see the majority of the cooking grate baking at a relatively even rate. There was a small but undeniable hot spot in the center, running diagonally toward the firebox. And, there was a very noticeable cooler spot at the stack end of the chamber. This cool spot is exactly where I cooked my last pork butt, and it turned out fine. But, this gives me better information with which to conduct future cooks.

Planning a couple of chickens for the weekend, I'm looking forward to seeing how they turn out!

Bis1.jpg Bis2.jpg

Reactions: SmokinVOLfan
good way to find out more about your smoker. Good job

Ryan

The biscuit test is actually more reliable (unless you had a bunch of probes or oven thermometers) because it gives you visual results. I'd keep a copy of those photos in your cooking journal so you know how best to position certain meats.

You will also have enough room to cook some things in pans, and can get a good strategy when rotating pans so everything cooks evenly.

Reactions: SmokeyX
Now that is an awesome way to check the temps. And it sure is obvious where the cool end is. Are you planning to make any mods to try & even it out, or just go with it as is?
al

Reactions: SmokeyX
Now that is an awesome way to check the temps. And it sure is obvious where the cool end is. Are you planning to make any mods to try & even it out, or just go with it as is?
al

I’ve no doubt I’ll eventually add tuning plates to the stack end to even it out, but for now, it’s good.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky