New OKJ Highland. Input on mods to firebox needed.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Odysseus

Fire Starter
Original poster
Aug 15, 2019
Arkansas
New to the forum, and hello from Arkansas.

I just got an OKJ Highland and and plan to do the following:

-weld the two firebox halves together
-weld the firebox to the cook chamber
-nomex seals around FB and CC lids
-LavaLock baffle plate

I've read this smoker has some issues with draft and flow. My question for you guys is about the FB and FB-to-CC orifice. I noticed that the orifice is about 2 inches above the bottom of the cook chamber and about 1 inch below the top of the FB. Seems to me that the orifice should be at the very top of the FB and very bottom of the CC so that as the heat rises, it hits the top of the FB and just slides along the FB roof until it goes into the CC which is how the expensive offsets like Horizon, Yoder, etc. are constructed. On these OKJs, the orifice is below the roof of the FB, so the inch of wall between the orifice and the FB roof acts like a dam and must surely impede flow and reduce efficiency. Similarly, if the orifice is 2" above the bottom of the CC, heat is entering the CC too high from the beginning and then runs into the 45 degree section of the baffle plate directing it back down which acts as another dam because hot air wants to rise. Do you think it would help the smoker to weld the FB 2" lower onto the smoker and cut the orifice to be flush with the top of the FB as it is on the more expensive offsets?

Welcome from Michigan. Not much help with your questions. I have had a Highland for a year, with more hours used than I can count.I don’t have any major mods and works fine for me so far.
I did make a fire basket and added a silicon grommet to feed my temp wires through and that’s all.
I’m sure some of the folks here with experience in your questions can help you.

I have had the OK Joe Highland now for 3 years and only mods I did was seal the FB and add the convection baffle plate. The smoker does a really good job at producing some pretty good que, have not received any complaints!

I have a highland reverse flow, I ditched the stock stack and make a new stainless one from sanitary tube which is now 30" long and draws much better. I also made my own baffle from 1/4" plate which gives me +/- 5 degrees across the grates. I added lavalock gasket around the door openings and also spun the firebox grate 90 degrees which raises it 2" for better airflow to the fire. I stick burn in mine and it works well now.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky