New MES30 ... And first go at a brisket. How did I do

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

IntenseImage

Original poster
Jul 4, 2018
Lehigh Valley
So on Saturday we went to a 40th Bday party where my buddy smoked some pork and brisket. My wife and I had thought about getting a smoker for awhile and having his cooking sealed the deal. I came home and started my research (ultimately landing me here) and decided a MES30 would be the way to go. Units were sold out everywhere and it looked next to impossible to have one before today's holiday. We headed to Lowe's on Sunday and picked up some supplies to do our first attempt at smoking but on our gas grill until an MES could be secured. Sunday I did my first ever smoke ... using our gas grill ... And it came out pretty good but had to constantly battle temps and wood issues.

Sunday night a delivery showed up at Lowe's and it had ONE MES30 (Bluetooth model) that hit the website early Monday morning. I wasted no time ordering online and picked it up on my way home from work.

We did the seasoning process on Tuesday and today was it's first true run ... With a Brisket. Brisket was rubbed last night, went on this morning and ran with some Jack Daniels oak chips until IT hit 165* ... Foil wrapped and back in till 203* then sat for an hour to redistribute the juices. Ran the smoker with the vent fully open, no water in the tray and the water tray and lower drip tray lined w foil. I do believe that is how most run these?

Considering even the kiddo scarfed her meal down, I believe it was a complete success!

Got a Maverick ET-733 coming and will grab an AMNPS quite soon. I do believe this is a 2.5ish model so thinking about running the pellet tray on the lowest shelf to the far left?

Any other tips or tricks?

And a quick Thank You to Bear for all the info shared on this forum - it has been a great help (I see you are local too!)
20180704_175738.jpg

Last edited:
Looks good and juicy; if it probed tender you got it down. I was pretty nervous to do a brisket and waited and waited..not sure why the view is it's super difficult. No different to me then doing a pork butt except I rely on poking some thing in to determine if she's done!

Very good looking brisket. The only problem that I can see is - that it will be a tough act to follow! :p

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky