New MES Bluetooth Digital smoker

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I can sum it up easily... It still has plastic parts and Chrome coated cooking racks that will rust regardless of how well you treat them. All they have to do is make it all out of stainless and make it waterproof to stay outside like a GRILL !!!!

what is the most used pellets for the AMPS Im geting a 40" bluetooth model at sams(hope this is a good one)

and im buying the pellet smoker

need advice on what pellets to buy

In texas all they use on brisket is post oak! hadnt fount that yet in a pellet!

also, you guys/gals talk about leaving gap in wood chip tray

how much?

pics of an AMPS in a 40"?

thanks

any tips let me know! I read this whole forum!

what is the most used pellets for the AMPS Im geting a 40" bluetooth model at sams(hope this is a good one)

and im buying the pellet smoker

need advice on what pellets to buy

In texas all they use on brisket is post oak! hadnt fount that yet in a pellet!

also, you guys/gals talk about leaving gap in wood chip tray

how much?

pics of an AMPS in a 40"?

thanks

any tips let me know! I read this whole forum!
Pellet type is a matter of taste. I get my Pellets from Todd (Amazing Smoker)

I personally use Hickory about 95% of the time.

I don't pull my chip dumper out, or mess with my chip tray, but you can if you have a problem.

Bear

Inside of the MES 40 Gen #2.5. Note the AMNPS on the bottom rack, protected from drips by the upside down half foil pan above it:
http://s836.photobucket.com/user/Bearcarver_2009/media/Bearcarver_2009007/IMG_0107.jpg.html

Last edited:
So my Gen1 is having some electronic issues after MANY hours of happiness so I'm looking into the Gen3/2.5/whatever...

There are two model numbers for the 40" Stainless and I am having a hard time telling the difference:

Amazon is selling 20070115:

Sam's Club is selling 20070215:

http://www.samsclub.com/sams/masterbuilt-smoker/prod15560335.ip?xid=hdr_locator_my-club_6322

Both are stainless steel, have the top vent, and are bluetooth. Aside from the stand ($40-$50) I see no difference between the two, and furthermore why would the model with a  stand be $120 cheaper???

Smoke on,

//Atrainsacomin

So my Gen1 is having some electronic issues after MANY hours of happiness so I'm looking into the Gen3/2.5/whatever...

There are two model numbers for the 40" Stainless and I am having a hard time telling the difference:

Amazon is selling 20070115:

Sam's Club is selling 20070215:

http://www.samsclub.com/sams/masterbuilt-smoker/prod15560335.ip?xid=hdr_locator_my-club_6322

Both are stainless steel, have the top vent, and are bluetooth. Aside from the stand ($40-$50) I see no difference between the two, and furthermore why would the model with a  stand be $120 cheaper???

Smoke on,

//Atrainsacomin
Yup---That's the only difference I see. They are both Generation #2.5 MES 40.

For my set-up the one without legs is better because I have mine on a good solid 2' high platform.

The only other thing is Sams Club has always been cheaper, but if you get theirs make sure you get the extended warranty, because a few years ago we had a bunch of problem smokers & it seemed they all (or most) came from Sams.

Getting their warranty (Around $30-$40) would cover your butt.

Bear

please explain... why I cant mix in a few tiny charcoal pieces in the smoker?
You can put what you want in there, but you probably got that answer because it says in the Owners Manual not to put Charcoal or other fuels in the chip drawer.

Bear

Ask Masterbuilt why you can't put charcoal in the chip drawer.
My guess is that it has to do with the electronics. What else could it be? If it wasn't electric it wouldn't mater what you used for fuel. I know your not thinking of it as fuel, but it would be like added fuel once it turns white. If you are looking for that flavor, I wonder if you crushed som In to powder and mixed it with wood chips if it would work?

Ask Masterbuilt why you can't put charcoal in the chip drawer.
My guess is that it has to do with the electronics. What else could it be? If it wasn't electric it wouldn't mater what you used for fuel. I know your not thinking of it as fuel, but it would be like added fuel once it turns white. If you are looking for that flavor, I wonder if you crushed som In to powder and mixed it with wood chips if it would work?
I know some people have done it without any problems, and I wouldn't know why a little bit would hurt, but they do say not to.

Maybe they say that because they're worried some people would put a lot of Charcoal or Wood fuel in if they don't say NO.

Bear

Just picked up my fathers day Gen 2.5 from sams. will assemble tomorrow pre burn and do an over night butt for daddys day

I've been running my smoker since last night. Spatchcock chickens, ribs, shoulder and a brisket (all mine!) for the weekend.

Kids wanted pizza, wife wanted to go out. 75 degrees and not a cloud to be seen the entire weekend.

Needless to say, my MES is getting a workout this weekend. I'll need to make a pellet order after this weekend.

Most importantly, this dad gets what this dad wants this weekend.

I've been running my smoker since last night. Spatchcock chickens, ribs, shoulder and a brisket (all mine!) for the weekend.

Kids wanted pizza, wife wanted to go out. 75 degrees and not a cloud to be seen the entire weekend.

Needless to say, my MES is getting a workout this weekend. I'll need to make a pellet order after this weekend.

Most importantly, this dad gets what this dad wants this weekend.
That's Great !! 

My Son & his wife & Dog just went to Long Beach Island for a week. 

Glad the weather is doing good there too.

Happy Dad's Day!

Bear

Bear - it will be busy in LBI, but, this is arguably the best weather we have had for 3 straight days (over a weekend), since I can remember.

We live only 30 minutes south (closer to Atlantic city) and I think I've only been inside the house to sleep for the past 48 hours.

I'm just finishing up smoked Mac and cheese for the kids for lunch (threw some fresh ham cubes in as well).

Bear - it will be busy in LBI, but, this is arguably the best weather we have had for 3 straight days (over a weekend), since I can remember.

We live only 30 minutes south (closer to Atlantic city) and I think I've only been inside the house to sleep for the past 48 hours.

I'm just finishing up smoked Mac and cheese for the kids for lunch (threw some fresh ham cubes in as well).
Great !!

And you should be getting some of the World's best Sweet Corn in a couple weeks too.

Can't beat Jersey Sweet Corn!
drool.gif

Bear

Yup. I'll gladly send you a few dozen ears!

We've already got heirlooms and cherry tomatoes growing like weeds in our garden.

Gen 2.5 success Smoked a 16 lb butt over night got up added a rack of spares and 4 Chicken breast, mixed up a double batch of wicked beans and filled up the smoker. This unit performs better than my Gen 1 or gen 2 ever did. the blue tooth works great but only to about 25 - 30 feet, all the temps are a lot closer to the readings than either of my previous units,  1st smoke A+.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky