Variable wifi/bluetooth propane regulator

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

PrayinPig

Original poster
Nov 16, 2022
Is there such a thing as a variable wifi or Bluetooth controlled propane regulator? I’ve found some that can turn the propane off or on, but sometimes I get an alert that my temp is getting out of range and I’m in bed so I would like to be able to open it a little more or close it a little from my phone.

Have you thought about a PID controller and a WiFi or Bluetooth thermometer for monitoring?

Have you thought about a PID controller and a WiFi or Bluetooth thermometer for monitoring?
So would that be instead of using propane. I tried to look up your Inkbird model and to be honest I'm not sure I understand what it does.

The PID controller is a simple computer that senses temperature and can be used to control electricity or propane to maintain a desired temperature. On propane smokers it requires significant modification to the smoker. In my case I use it to control the propane feeding the burner. This is done using a solenoid valve that opens and closes as necessary.

A regulator is used to reduce and maintain a steady pressure from the tank to the burner. It does not control the amount of fuel going to the burner. That is what the valve does.

Reactions: choochooman442
The PID controller is a simple computer that senses temperature and can be used to control electricity or propane to maintain a desired temperature. On propane smokers it requires significant modification to the smoker. In my case I use it to control the propane feeding the burner. This is done using a solenoid valve that opens and closes as necessary.

A regulator is used to reduce and maintain a steady pressure from the tank to the burner. It does not control the amount of fuel going to the burner. That is what the valve does.
My smoker is custom built, can you give me some idea of how it controls the propane? When I look it up I just see a black electrical device. How does it connect to the propane flow?

Ok I see, can you message the valve you have because that's the part I'm nervous about. Obviously if I use the wrong valve and it's not safe for propane that would not be good.

It’s not really an easy conversion. Not sure about your skill set, but it is definitely a project! The silver and black thing is the valve. Selecting it depends on the type of power you are providing it (120v or 12v).

Frankly, I like to tinker, but it would be easier to buy a used and malfunctioning electric MasterBuilt MES40, and add a PID controller to it. You can find them online for free or very low cost. They commonly break even with very little use and make a great setup after the conversion.

Attachments

• IMG_1189.jpeg
    IMG_1189.jpeg
    152.1 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_1058.jpeg
    IMG_1058.jpeg
    188 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_1057.jpeg
    IMG_1057.jpeg
    158.7 KB · Views: 8
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky