• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

J_L_Smoker

Original poster
Jan 8, 2024
New Orleans
Hello everyone,
Josh here from Louisana. Got a Bradley smoker for xmas, and ruined my first piece of meat. All good, live and learn. Smoked some store-bought chicken sausages too long and too high of heat (225 for 3.5 hours). Any suggestions on how to smoke some chicken sausage (degrees and length of time).

Reactions: JLeonard
Welcome. I had a Bradley for many years. Grab a pork butt and then ribs and try again. A remote thermometer and this forum will help you cook great food in no time. Jeff's recipes are also an excellent start.

Oh and welcome to the forums. Look forward to more post and pics. we like show and tell.

Jim

These were store-bought chicken sausages. I do have a temp probe, which I used, but the temp never achieved 165, after several hours I removed one of the links and it was dry as dirt. It is a wired probe. I'm assuming I burned out all the fat and moisture and was just measuring heated air within the casing.

Howdy Josh, welcome to the group from New Mexico.

As mentioned, a remote thermometer preferably with two or more probe is a must.

And as JLeonard JLeonard said, cook chicken sausage until the internal temp reaches 165f.

Welcome to SMF from Southeast Missouri, Josh! Tons of great information here!

As stated, always smoke to internal temperature of... A Bluetooth or wi-fi thermometer will certainly help.

I also agree with starting out with a Boston Butt/pork shoulder for your next go 'round. They are quite forgiving.

Just remember, always cook to internal temperature and, in my humble opinion, 225° F is perfect for smoking almost anything.

Mac

Reactions: HalfSmoked
Welcome from Ohio. I'll hop on the thermometer wagon. Get yourself a good remote one with at least two probes, one to monitor pit temp and the other meat temp. Honestly you can get them with 4 or more probes cheaply anymore. Inkbird runs deals often on Amazon. While you are add it grab their rechargeable instant read too. Cook meat to finish temps not time. As was mentioned above 165 finish temp on the sausages. I pull them at 160 as they will have residual ruse in temp to 165. You will find a wealth of interest info here both by searching and asking. I'll also post my you to Bearcarvers (RIP) step by step index. I found I went to it often when I joined here years ago. https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/bears-step-by-step-index.159333/

Appreciate the advice. But why did the probe thermometer not reach 165? Perhaps I cooked the sausage too long and it did achieve it, but I was not around to check it? Are Probe thermometers less accurate in smoker? Wifi probes, any suggestions before I just "pick one". Again, I'm setting the temp on the bradley smoker at 225, or should it be reduced? Do I need to wrap them in foil or just lay them on the rack as I did before?

I’ve never had a problem with probes in a smoker. Are you sure the Bradley was really at 225 degrees. What were you using to measure the chamber temp? I’ve smoked sausages much like yours at that temp and it never takes more than hour or so. I’m not trying to be argumentative. Just trying to help you figure out what went wrong.

Jim

Reactions: jcam222
Welcome to SMF from SE GA and agreed that 3.5 hrs seems like a mighty long time. Usually do mine for 1.5 hrs.

Keith

Appreciate the advice. But why did the probe thermometer not reach 165? Perhaps I cooked the sausage too long and it did achieve it, but I was not around to check it? Are Probe thermometers less accurate in smoker? Wifi probes, any suggestions before I just "pick one". Again, I'm setting the temp on the bradley smoker at 225, or should it be reduced? Do I need to wrap them in foil or just lay them on the rack as I did before?
What probes were you using?

Hello everyone,
Josh here from Louisana. Got a Bradley smoker for xmas, and ruined my first piece of meat. All good, live and learn. Smoked some store-bought chicken sausages too long and too high of heat (225 for 3.5 hours). Any suggestions on how to smoke some chicken sausage (degrees and length of time).

Welcome to the party. Don’t worry about ruining food haha it will happen and often at the worse times. I remember when I first started, one of the first things I ruined was a rack of ribs. Was pulling them off and bam rack broke in half and fell all over the grass. I was mad as hell brought them inside after a handful of 4 letter words and told my wife to order pizza she said why I told her I made organic ribs and we don’t eat organic food. She saw the grass and everything covered in the ribs and just laughed at me. Haha

Yes, perhaps I missed the correct temp and didn't place the probe into the meat before it was too late. Well I have a WIFI thermometer on the way (ThermoPro Twin Temp). I will be attempting a pork shoulder on Sunday.

Yes, perhaps I missed the correct temp and didn't place the probe into the meat before it was too late. Well I have a WIFI thermometer on the way (ThermoPro Twin Temp). I will be attempting a pork shoulder on Sunday.
The chamber temp is read electronically by the smoker. I just set the temp to what degree and a small window next to it, tells me the actual temp inside. It never stays perfect, but I would say (-) 6-8 degree difference from what I set it to. For example, I set the smoker to 225, but it only achieves 218-219.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky