• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

John2510

Original poster
Nov 23, 2019
I just joined today.

Growing up, my family didn't BBQ (except chicken on the grill).

My father didn't like ribs... so I never had them.

When I got married, I wanted to try cooking them. In my ignorance, I bought beef ribs, slathered them in store-bought BBQ sauce, and put them on the grill. Of course, that was a disaster.

Over the course of the next 35 years, I've learned some. I bought a cheap Meco smoker 10 years ago.

I've mainly done baby back ribs, and "rack of pork" - an excellent cut that you can pretty much only get at Costco, and only during certain times of the year.

Somehow, I never realized that pulled pork didn't require cooking a whole hog, and I only discovered pork shoulder in the last six months. I've probably cooked 8 of them in that time.

Always trying to learn...

Reactions: JC in GB
I just joined today.

Growing up, my family didn't BBQ (except chicken on the grill).

My father didn't like ribs... so I never had them.

When I got married, I wanted to try cooking them. In my ignorance, I bought beef ribs, slathered them in store-bought BBQ sauce, and put them on the grill. Of course, that was a disaster.

Over the course of the next 35 years, I've learned some. I bought a cheap Meco smoker 10 years ago.

I've mainly done baby back ribs, and "rack of pork" - an excellent cut that you can pretty much only get at Costco, and only during certain times of the year.

Somehow, I never realized that pulled pork didn't require cooking a whole hog, and I only discovered pork shoulder in the last six months. I've probably cooked 8 of them in that time.

Always trying to learn...

Always remember that those here when laughing are laughing you because we had to learn just the same as everyone else.

One of my favorite stories was an old friend of my Pop's in NC was traveling to Houston to pick up and new company truck, stopped by to say high. He was just a good ol'country boy from NC. He and POp were shooting the breeze and I was sitting there listening and he suddenly became all solem and told Pop. He had tried something new to eat just outside Houston. On the menu they had chicken fried steak and ordered it cause he'd never seen a chicken big enough to cut a steak off of. You are going to hear lots of fun BS around here.

Let me suggest you add your general or precise location. It gives people the ability to answer questions easier. It also helps to list your Pit/smoker/grill so you can get a better more accurate help by those who also use your type equipment. Lastly remember that search is your friend. You'll start to notice those you'd like to emulate with your cooking before long. I the spices, the heat, the smoke, the grill the geographic locations, all will figure in as well as their communications ability.

It is so much fun here to learn, you get to eat all your mistakes as you get better, and with the advent of meat thermometers, its all safe and the learning curve is so short. Welcome to the boards and always ask whenever you have a question.

The keyword here is patience.

Have fun and look forward to seeing your achievements grow and laughing with you on those that are not.....

Always remember that those here when laughing are laughing you because we had to learn just the same as everyone else.

One of my favorite stories was an old friend of my Pop's in NC was traveling to Houston to pick up and new company truck, stopped by to say high. He was just a good ol'country boy from NC. He and POp were shooting the breeze and I was sitting there listening and he suddenly became all solem and told Pop. He had tried something new to eat just outside Houston. On the menu they had chicken fried steak and ordered it cause he'd never seen a chicken big enough to cut a steak off of. You are going to hear lots of fun BS around here.

Let me suggest you add your general or precise location. It gives people the ability to answer questions easier. It also helps to list your Pit/smoker/grill so you can get a better more accurate help by those who also use your type equipment. Lastly remember that search is your friend. You'll start to notice those you'd like to emulate with your cooking before long. I the spices, the heat, the smoke, the grill the geographic locations, all will figure in as well as their communications ability.

It is so much fun here to learn, you get to eat all your mistakes as you get better, and with the advent of meat thermometers, its all safe and the learning curve is so short. Welcome to the boards and always ask whenever you have a question.

The keyword here is patience.

Have fun and look forward to seeing your achievements grow and laughing with you on those that are not.....
Thanks! I'll update my profile with that info.

Welcome to the show, happy to have ya join the fun

Chris

Welcome from Wisconsin. :emoji_cat: Ribs are one of my very favorite foods. I am always looking to cook the perfect rack...

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky