new member from nc

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

chrisjames

Original poster
Dec 31, 2015
wassup? i have lurked around this sit for a while, and i joined 2 and a half years ago. however, since i have recently started posting, i figured i should tell you a little about myself. i was born in bishopville, sc, but i grew up most of my life in raleigh, nc. with this background, i learned about pretty much every aspect of the various carolina styles from an early age. my dad had a fairly large earthen pit in our backyard in sc. he would do 2 or 3 hogs in that pit a few times a year, and he would do other things at other times. from the time i could walk, i would help clean the pit, set the pit up, rake coals, whatever. after my parents divorced and i moved with my mom to nc, i spent a lot of time with family in eastern nc. a lot of those guys are old school eastern nc whole hog cookers. pig pickins were a regular occurance at family events growing up, and i always hung out by the cooker to learn whatever i could (and steal as many ribs when nobody was paying attention). i also had a friend from memphis, and i would go see his mom with him sometimes in the summer. so, i also got a good taste of memphis bbq growing up. as i got older, i also learned to respect texas and kc style.

as soon as i was old enough, i began tinkering with grilling and smoking techniques. after 20-2 years of tinkering, i am honing in and trying to perfect things. at this point, i only have an 18.5 wsm for smoking, although i plan to upgrade to an above ground pit style in the next year or so. i smoke whatever i can, whenever i can. i don't have a favorite style, and i love them all.

anyway, enough about me. i look forward to learning some new things from you.

Welcome
We are happy you joined and made it official. Hope to see some of your smokes posted soon! B

Welcome to the discussions! Sounds like you bring a very wide range of experience.

If I dug a proper bbq pit in my back yard, it would be full of water at least half of the time.

Welcome to SMF!
With your background, I bet you have some good stories to tell!
Also looking forward to seeing some of your smokes!
Al

Welcome to SMF!
We have a good bunch from the Carolinas. check out the newsletter from Jeff the site owner. its once a week recipe comes out on Thursdays and gives something new to smoke all the time. good to have you!

Happy Smoking,
phatbac (Aaron)

Welcome glad you finally decided to participate.

Chris

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky