New Guy Learning to Use a New to Me Smoker

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Hicks86

Original poster
Aug 4, 2023
Hi, I've purchased a Dyna-Glo electric smoker - used, and I'm trying to figure it out. It doesn't seem to light wood chips or pellets on its own. I've had to use my torch to light them from the top to get the smoke to roll out. Is this normal? I thought that the electric heating element was supost to get the chips or pellets smoldering. Does anyone have experience with this that they might have some guidance or advice for me? I've made some great stuff on there already, but I want to make sure I'm doing it right!

Thanks!

Reactions: JLeonard
well, i've not used an electric smoker, but my understanding is that you don't light them - there should be a tray or pan that sits right above the heating element and that should get hot enough to create smoke... there might be soaking of the wood chips involved as well... so they smoke more than burn.

Should be a pan for chips right above the heating element as stated. Soaking chips or not is debatable. They have to dry out before they can burn and emit smoke in the first place, so I see no reason to soak them.

Yes, there is a tray right above the heating element that I put the wood chips in. I don't soak the wood chips cause I'm trying to get as much smoke going as I can. I'll keep experimenting. I think I'd rather try to find a good used pellet smoker if I can't get this thing working correctly. I can always use it as a low temp oven for resting meat or whatever. It just doesn't light the chips on its own, so I'll do whatever I gotta do to make it work for now I guess.

Get a pellet tube and use it for smoke. Roughly $30 on amazon. Electrics arent really know for a lot of smoke output anyway.

Jim
Okay, yea. I have one that I use on my grill, and I've been using it in there to get that extra smoke as you suggested. That works pretty good. So, I think I basically understand that this is just the way these things are, and it needs a little help getting things going.

What temps are you smoking at, I know with the mes smokers they wont start burning the chips until 200-220 degrees, are you sure your pan is sitting right in the smoker, not familiar with your smoker so that's about all I can add.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky