New Guy in Sparta, TN

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

How do you smoke your butts?

• Wrapped

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • UnWrapped

• Rubbed

• Mopped

• Marinated

• Spritz

• Turned

• Fat up

• Fat down

• Do YOU love smoking your meat

• Total voters
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

squealin_bob

Original poster
Mar 23, 2008
Sparta, TN
Hey Everybody great site here. I started smoking Boston Butts when I was 13 and did I start big. Two weekends a month we did fundraisers in several areas of Middle TN cooking at the least 250 and the most 425. We used mostly 8-footer pull behinds at the time. When I was a year and a half into it at the ripe old age of 14 I decided I needed a Smoker. So me and mother ventured to The Jack Daniels Cookoff in Lynchburg.
PDT_Armataz_01_11.gif
Well I bought a Smoker alright. The Smoker was an upright homemade job. The entire bottom was a firebox lined with fire brick. Above that was a water pan with the grate above it. Comfortable could hold fifty butts or two small hogs. Had a drop down door for the front and also a lid on top to raise and lower the hogs onto the grate. Had two stacks coming off nearly three and a half feet. She was a monster.
icon_eek.gif
The real kicker was that she was mounted on the rear of a 16' gooseneck trailer with a two-story concession stand and an 8' fold out deck! This started my Cooking career as well as my high school career. By my graduation day I had roughly 60% of all catering business in my area and had events lined up every weekend that summer. I suppose I did to much that fall I was burned out and disgusted with the concession and catering.
PDT_Armataz_01_32.gif
I was either going to have to open a restaurant or sell. Sadly I did sell and have regretted it every since. When I did sell out I had graduated from my behemoth smoker to a more economical Southern Pride Smoker.
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif
I cant say enough about how great those smokers are. But to make a long story short I know have a Master Built 40" electric smoker which does well with my apartment and gonna start getting back into the making and selling of my meat. I will get some pictures up as soon as I can get a camera and my old pics scanned in. Any questions yall ask!! Thanks alot.
PDT_Armataz_01_36.gif

Welcome to the SMF site Bob. When do ya think you could start teaching us about them butts?Can't wait to see some of the old pics. I bet you have a ton of good Q stories to tell!

Thanks for the Welcome Yall. Yea Q stories are in an abundant supply with
icon_lol.gif
. I can remember a few times I have had to strap on my fire coat, hat and gloves to rescue my poor burning butts from a savage grease fire. And losing my arm hair and eyebrows a few times
PDT_Armataz_01_29.gif

Squealin_Bob
Great to have you here, welcome to SMF !!!
It sounds like you come hear loaded with a wealth of knowledge, look forward to your stories, recipes and of course the pictures !!!

Welcome to SMF bob-souns like a wealth of help u have to share.

I was gonna ask about the nickname you are using, but after seeing deliverance(that was in tennesee wasn't it?) I am afraid of the answer!
PDT_Armataz_01_23.gif

I am hoping that it is from eating so much pig from the younger years to present that you are starting to sound like one!
icon_mrgreen.gif

Ha Ha The sad part is I haven even sen that movie yet. Gonna put it on my movie list for the weekend! Squealin Bob was the name of my business. Which after I told it also became my name.
PDT_Armataz_01_24.gif
Imagine starting High School with that name ha ha ha.

It is a great movie, Ned Beaty hasn't been the same since!
biggrin.gif

Yu betta watch dat movie bowah, you watch it reawl gewd!
icon_smile.gif

Welcome bob! As far as the poll goes, The only thing listed that I DON'T do is marinate or mop.
biggrin.gif

so all rest all in one smoke!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky