New from Alabama

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

wizardfishin

Original poster
Jun 25, 2015
Birmingham, AL
Hey folks.  I'm Aaron, 26, from Birmingham AL.  I just bought my first smoker this weekend, a new MECO Southern Country charcoal/water smoker.  I'm happy with it for my first one.  I have done some charcoal grilling in the past, but never smoking. I like cooking, and love fishing and hunting, as well as the preparing of fish and game.  Looking forward to getting some recipes and asking some questions as I learn about smoking.

wizard Welcome to SMF use the search bar up top,don't be afraid to ask a question.Check out the forums for fish,game and any kind of recipe you want.

Richie

Welcome to the board, Aaron! Lots of hunting/fishing people here, those go well with smoking. I'm on the Ohio Game Fishing board, and I don't fish! I run a watershed group (as FOSR).

You have found Foodie Heaven. Look around the corners of this place to find recipe and method ideas.

texas.gif
  Good morning and welcome to the best forum on the internet, Lots of great people with tons of information on just about  everything. Glad you joined up.

Gary

Thanks Everybody.  Glad to be here.  I'm going to try smoking some chicken with some vegetables tomorrow to get my feet wet.   BlueWhisper,are you a riverkeeper or do you work for a non profit that looks after a watershed there?  One of my buddies is the Coosa Riverkeeper here in Alabama.  Its interesting seeing the work that they do, and the problems the river has.

FOSR is the Friends of the Scioto River. We don't have a watercraft, which is a requirement for the waterkeeper organization.

Truth be told, I'm the last one in FOSR, all the other board members have bailed out and no members have joined. That river flows through the capital of Ohio, with a million people; it even flows through the state seal. I'm amazed that I'm the only person who cares enough to advocate for it.

That said, I can still run FOSR as a one-man show. I can coordinate volunteer events in the parks (mainly honeysuckle removals) and sit at the table with city officials and regional planners. 40 years ago my sister and I joked about being Agents of Nature, and now I'm actually doing it. I love this.

Smoked 2 chickens, corn, and sweet potatoes earlier. Used pecan chips. it all turned out well and was a good learning experience. I think the top grate in my smoker was cooking a lot hotter than the bottom grate does that happen to yall in the vertical charcoal smoker?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky