New Electric Build

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Jonok

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Feb 4, 2019
Michigan, and points north
I scored an open-bottom insulated propane-fired Peking duck oven (roughly sheet pan internal size by 60” vertical internal dimensions above the burners.

Removed the propane and sealed the bottom, installed 2 3600W elements (top and bottom, switchable to allow broiling, and both on a PID. (240, of course)
Initial runs show easy control from ambient to 500 degrees.

Have constructed an initial separate smoke generator based on my MES generator design. This one is PID controlled and vents directly to the smoker. Smok production is independent of smoker temp.

Will provide pictures presently, but I think it’s the cats pajamas!

Nice . would love to see it in action! With that kind of temp control and seperate smoke generator the stuff you can do is limitless.

Reactions: campfirestu
I’m fairly stoked, because I can make all the thin blue smoke I want and trickle it through the cook chamber as I need it. Nothing bitter, and presumably I can make all the nitric oxide I want so I’ll get a pretty smoke ring too.....

Reactions: Sowsage
97755DAB-F876-497A-ACD2-10B49625DCCE.png
F46BD087-8E9A-42A5-882C-06B618A65CBC.png
9ADD25F2-38FC-461D-B707-6783097EF98F.png
FEBA4337-8853-4A75-8208-16278AA3E4AF.png
3779F680-7B51-4980-9ADD-2D9F069FA452.jpeg

Still working on the top vent hole. Needs to get through 2 layers of galvanized 16 ga and one layer of stainless that’s thicker. Burned up the bimetal 2.5” hole saw on the first layer of soft stuff, so I’m looking at carbide or plasma to finish the job...

Still working on the top vent hole. Needs to get through 2 layers of galvanized 16 ga and one layer of stainless that’s thicker. Burned up the bimetal 2.5” hole saw on the first layer of soft stuff, so I’m looking at carbide or plasma to finish the job...
That stainless will tear up some stuff. Get the carbide and use a little oil. Take it slow. Heat is your worst enemy....im sure you know this already....keep us posted!

So it’s working with a PID controlled top and bottom element (3500W each, 250v with a contactor to turn them on and off, elements are also individually switched, so if I don’t want broiling action from the top I can shut it down. Hits 250 from ambient with both elements in about 5 min. External PID controlled smoke generator with 120v element in sealed container with aquarium pump for positive pressure. Catches fire and goes out on command. Refractory cement in bottom of generator to prevent burnouts.

more pictures soon.

Very nice! If you've got the power, it's hard to beat electric heat, as long as you can separately generate enough (good) smoke .

But I'm not fully understanding your smoke generator. You have a small 120VAC element surrounded by pellets? It's controlled by a PID that's informed/controlled by what? A temperature probe? Where is that probe located with respect to the element and wood? Pictures of this smoke generator would be appreciated!

Sounds great that you remove pellet heat upon flames (as determined by high temp on a probe someplace?) but I assume your wood still burns up to char at that point...so do you have a gravity-feed or other auto-feed mechanism for replenishing your smoke "fuel"? Is there any control on the air supply to the pellets/chips? How does that whole smoker mechanism "breathe"?

Basically, there is a wood hopper in a sealed container that has a 500w element under it. The PID control cuts out at a temp that indicates that the wood has caught fire. When that occurs the element shuts off and the air intake solenoid to the generator closes and the fire goes out. This repeats so that we don’t just destructively distill the wood, so we actually get blue smoke and a smoke ring. The wood hopper holds about a gallon of chunks and seems to make good smoke for about 12 hrs.

3B3137E1-9DF0-4014-975D-80D4BC2982E7.jpeg

So this is the current test bed iteration of the generator. It seems to do everything we need. When we’re convinced we’ve got all the bugs worked out, we’ll fabricate a stainless version that is attached to the smoker.

I’d show the inside of the generator, but I’ve got butts in the smoker now and it’s running great, so I don’t want to open it and screw anything up.

View attachment 479205

So this is the current test bed iteration of the generator. It seems to do everything we need. When we’re convinced we’ve got all the bugs worked out, we’ll fabricate a stainless version that is attached to the smoker.

I’d show the inside of the generator, but I’ve got butts in the smoker now and it’s running great, so I don’t want to open it and screw anything up.
Waiting for the pics of the inside. I'm designing a large smoker now and if your willing I may "borrow" some ideas from you on your generator. The smoker design is locked in but my generator ideas are a little thin right now.

Corey

Thanks Jonok! It sounds like the controller turns off BOTH inlet airflow and electric power to the wood chip heater when the temp exceeds a Hi set point corresponding to burning.
And then the controller turns them both on again as the temperature decreases below a Lo set point.
Could I ask what you're using for Hi and Lo temp set points?

Currently 220 C hi and 170 low., but it’s sort of irrelevant as the element alone won’t increase the temp in the generator much above 100c even without convective losses, so when it gets higher than that it’s because somethings burning and creating additional heat.

Last edited:
Reactions: bill1
Are you going to wire wheel it to get the swirl finish on it? I think that would look sharp.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky