New. Building upright dual rotisserie insulated stainless.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Furrylittleotter

Original poster
Feb 2, 2018
Olympic Peninsula
64AE51F3-C9A4-4E29-A618-9C7972DC52B8.jpeg
CCC4D612-33B1-41BD-86BB-658BF43CFEC0.jpeg
3800F691-7E1E-408A-B1AA-B9E9FECFBE1A.jpeg
Greetings meatheads, I’m converting a giant Hobart rotisserie HGFR-12 into a firebox smoker. Will probably add a second spit and mount a wood stove (standard fireplace insert I got off craplist) in the bottom. Will add a top cover and rockwool insulation.

I believe the sides are already insulated or at least double wall.

It’s big. It’s heavy. It should be fun. I plan to smoke butts, chickens, ribs, possibly piglets and brisket.

The unit has two catalytic gas burners in top, one “show” burner in bottom rear. It also has a light and circulating fan.

I plan to remove all the burners and smoke with wood only, as God intended.

I have a stoker fan already and ordered two smokeware stainless adjustable chimney caps.

I am considering using a controller to regulate the stoker fan

Unit has a stainless floodable drip pan I will probably lower and retain.

I may add a stainless lp burner in the woodstove for a log starter.

I’m not sure of the best way to transfer the heat and smoke into the cooking chamber but I am thinking of simply connecting the woodstove flue opening to the opening where the “show” gas burner was.(bottom rear).

The rotating meat and possibly using the circulating fan should ensure even cooking(?)

I will probably add slide in racks to increase versatility.

I am also considering making a “bypass” flue stack to isolate ash when stoking.

Unit needs to be attractive and not look “cobbled” or homebuilt. I want something I can be proud of, will be efficient enough to cook just a few birds at a time if I want.

In other words, I know it is big but I want to make it efficient enough to cook small as well.

I would prefer it work without electricity or on 12v but I do have 4 yellowtop 12v batteries I could hook to an inverter to run an inverter.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Neil

Wow! That is an ambitious project. I will be watching for sure. Welcome to the Forum. Lots of good, knowledgeable, helpful people here. Couple of thoughts....You say that you “would prefer it work without electricity” but have plans for a rotisseries, and a stoker fan and controller? How does that work? Why would you not want electrical?

Weedeater

Why would you not want electrical?

Weedeater

Thanks! Ambitious is correct. I’ve “made do” with lesser smokers all my life and this is the culmination of years of dreaming and quite a bit of recent scavenging as well as a small investment of cheddar.

It’s not a requirement to run “off the grid” but it might be nice for it to be completely portable in case I end up doing some catering or want to take it somewhere remote or in the event of the apocalypse I dont anticipate problems with neighbors but you never know. They could be finicky about the smell of smoked meat. We shall see.

Neil

texas-animated-flag-1.gif
Good morning and welcome to the forum from a muggy wet day here in East Texas, and the best site on the web. Lots of great people with tons of information on just about everything.

Post lots of pics as you go

Gary

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky