Need new pots & pans - any suggestions?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
As an alternative thought?

I don't like buying knives or cookware in sets.  Especially with knives, I find there might be a couple in the set I like and others in the set I don't like.  With cookware, I find there are items in there I will use and others in the set seem to be thrown in because nobody would buy them?

I have heard it said that mismatched knives and cookware are the sign of a confident chef.  I believe that.

Whatever you choose, I hope it serves you well.

Good luck and good smoking.

Wow!  First, thanks to everyone for all the input.  

When I got home tonight I took an inventory of what we plan to keep and an initial list of what I'd like to have, i.e. what kinds of cooking do I want to do that I cannot do with what we have.  I kinda like to idea of filling in the holes with individual pieces that are focused on their specific need.  Most of the sets I looked at give some of what I want but also some of what I don't want so I don't think that's the path for me.  I have captured the web sites with Evernote so I won't forget them - it's sooooo fun getting old!  

I'll let you know what I get.

Thanks again.

Curt. 

Good luck and I'm sure it will be interesting to see what you finally decide on. I have cast iron skillets. chicken fryer, griddles (3) and dutch oven. I also have a couple different size SS stock pots and dutch ovens. I have a full set of Tramontina, and find there are certain times it has it's advantages.

When  I gave my suggestions about cookware I just took it for granted that you had a cast iron dutch oven and 12" cast iron fry pan, two tools no kitchen can be without. Cast iron is the only cookware that is more valuable used and well cared for than when it's new. Nuff said.

Taking a baby step or two I did buy a 12" cast iron frying pan yesterday.  I have a 10" but that's only used for corn bread so the 12" will go into general use.  The funny thing is when I started pulling all the stuff we have from various drawers and cabinets we actually have some great stuff.  Some matches but I really don't care about that.  At the end of the day I might be getting a few pieces here and there.

On another subject we have our annual block party this weekend and I'm smoking a salmon for our contribution.  I'm going to slice a sourdough baguette into real thin slices, put on a thin dollup of a dill infused sour cream/mayo onto the bread with a nice piece of salmon on the top.  I expect to be the hit of the party  
yahoo.gif

Curt. 

With regards to the cast iron cookware, the more you use it the better it gets. My sister-in-law uses her cast iron fry pan and cooks over-easy eggs in it every  morning and says that it's better than any Teflon pan on the market.

We did a clear out and reset a few years ago. We bought the Wolfgang Puck set from Sam's. About $100, IIRC, and it's good stuff. They have other pieces you can add. It's not high dollar but it's good solid stuff for not too much money. Also, I had a problem with one handle coming loose because the rivet through the glass slipped out. This was several years after buying the set and they replaced the lid without a question.

We have supplement the basic set with other pieces over time. We never gave up our old cast iron, of course.

HTH

If you have a TJ Maxx nearby, check it out!
I find good deals there quite frequently.
I bought 2 pieces of all-clad stainless cookware there today for half the price they are elsewhere.
I also found a replacement pairing knife for the Henkels set I have (someone around here got the handle on the original too hot and it ruined the handle) the pairing knife was only $10, regular price $50 elsewhere.
Last summer I found a 12 inch Calphalon SS skillet, regular price $80, in the bargain bin for $20.

~Martin

Last edited:
I have a nice set of Update pots and pans I picked up at the local kitchen store at he outlets. Update is a reasonably priced commercial quality line. Nice heavy bottoms and stainless steel lids. I am very happy with them! An 8 quart sauce pan was regularly priced at $60.

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky