Need new pots & pans - any suggestions?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

big andy a

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Nov 7, 2011
Loudon, Tennessee
I know this isn't a "real" smoking question but since we have to cook other things than just smoked stuff I thought the forum could give me some advice.  We've collected a variety of pots and pans in our kitchen over the past 35+ years, some okay and some not so good.  Wifey and I decided to clear to lot out and get a fresh start.  So I'm looking for suggestions on what to buy.  We're looking for regular sauce pans, saute pans, etc.  I don't mind spending a little money for a good, functional set.  Suggestions?? 

Curt.

We have the 12" skillet from these folks. http://culinaryedge.com/index.php It's the one with the hollow stainless handle, not the cast. I think it was $16.99, and it's the best frypan I've ever owned. Heavy bottom, perfectly flat and level and heats incredibly evenly. We're thinking of getting the whole set, actually 2, one one for us and one for the brother in law as a wedding gift. For the money, it's the best there is.

My wife and I received a set of these http://www.walmart.com/ip/1114157?a...&wl3=13681845190&wl4=&wl5=pla&veh=sem&veh=dat   , http://www.walmart.com/ip/Magnalite-18-Roaster/1744998?findingMethod=rr  and http://www.walmart.com/ip/Magnalite...num-Covered-Stockpot/1811850?findingMethod=rr  when we were married. It’s been 20+years and we have been very pleased with them…..Now unfortunately they no longer look this nice though…..But all in all have been very pleased with them…..They have keep us fed very well !!!! ROFLOL

America's Test Kitchen did a review of low cost non-stick pans, and the winner hands down was T-Fal, it beat out Calphalon, Circulon, Kitchen-Aid, and all the other big name brands. The T-Fal pan survived many brutal tests and just kept coming back for more without losing it's finish. Obviously you don't want all you pans non-stick, but that's my 2 cents.

I prefer cast iron whenever possible, in addition to that, I have Calphalon and SaladMaster SS as well as several other things. (no aluminum or teflon coated pans in this house)

I strongly recommend that you get something that you can evaluate first-hand rather than just ordering over the internet.
I learned my lesson, I wish I'd looked into the Calphalons more thoroughly before I bought because there are a few things about them that I hate, one is the fact that the handles on the skittlets are extremely thin and narrow and don't fit the hand well which makes the pans unstable and awkward to handle. Another thing that I absolutely hate is glass lids!!!!!

Good luck!

~Martin

Last edited:
I prefer cast iron whenever possible, in addition to that, I have Calphalon and SaladMaster SS as well as several other things. (no aluminum or teflon coated pans in this house)
I strongly recommend that you get something that you can evaluate first-hand rather than just ordering over the internet.
I learned my lesson, I wish I'd looked into the Calphalons more thoroughly before I bought because there are a few things about them that I hate, one is the fact that the handles on the skittlets are extremely thin and narrow and don't fit the hand well which makes the pans unstable and awkward to handle. Another thing that I absolutely hate is glass lids!!!!!
Good luck!
~Martin
I did not realize I posted the ones with the glass lids - I would not buy those either 

Martin & Scarbelly,

Curious, what's your dislike with the glass lids?  I have one saute pan with a glass lid but I don't use it too much so I haven't got a feeling one way or the other.  My only concern with the glass is it would be more fragile.  What else??

Curt. 

Good luck!
~Martin
icon14.gif

Martin & Scarbelly,

Curious, what's your dislike with the glass lids?  I have one saute pan with a glass lid but I don't use it too much so I haven't got a feeling one way or the other.  My only concern with the glass is it would be more fragile.  What else??

Curt. 

Yes, definitely very fragile!! You have to baby them, not something that I like having around.
I'm in the market for a really good extra large SS stock pot, but I can't find one locally that has a SS lid!!! GRRRrrrr!!!!!

~Martin

Last edited:
Yes, definitely very fragile!! You have to baby them, not something that I like having around.
I'm in the market for a really good extra large SS stock pot, but I can't find one locally that has a SS lid!!! GRRRrrrr!!!!!
~Martin

DDF, Do you have a restaurant supply house near by? You may want to check with them...I just bought a 10qt stainless and really like it........Just out of curiosity, what's wrong with aluminum pots?? 
pot.gif

[SIZE=10pt][SIZE=10pt] [/SIZE][/SIZE]
[SIZE=10pt][SIZE=10pt][SIZE=10pt]DDF, Do you have a restaurant supply house near by? You may want to check with them...I just bought a 10qt stainless and really like it........Just out of curiosity, what's wrong with aluminum pots?? :pot: [/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE]

Yeah, I visit the restaurant supply here very frequently.
They have aluminum in stock, but not high quality stainless.
I've never liked aluminum because they have a tendency to scratch and pit eventually and are not as easy to clean as SS.

~Martin

A friend of mine on a cooking forum (a chef) made this recommendation to me several years ago...

The Tramontina line is just as good as the premium triclad cookware.

I bought several pieces and am very happy with it.

Walmart,amazon and a lot of others vendors carry it..

http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/537551

Personally, I don't think that any one line has the best for everything in the kitchen, or even on the stovetop.

For instance, I prefer cast iron for even heating skillets for some applications. A certain aluminum non-stick low pan for crepes (and nothing but crepes). Copper sauciers are the best for serious sauce works. Spun steel for woks.

My stuff simply doesn't, can't and will never match. Different materials, designs and constructions for different applications.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky