Need Loop knot help fast

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

archeryrob

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Oct 26, 2015
Western Maryland
I have bologna to smoke and I bought the 24" casings untied. :eek: I tried searching here and the internet and cannot find a link to the proper way to tie a knot to hang 24" casings.

Any help? The smokehouse is warming up and I missed this detail.

I wish I had more information...

If you are using a casing that will not support the weight of the meat, you need to truss it somehow so it will not rip open...
The below picture is overkill and for customer appeal....

full

I tied granny knots twice, long sting out and made a loop and slipped back over the end and tied below the knot. wraped around casing and retied. Seems to work and we shall see.

I would like better options. Next time I won;t be stupid and will order pre-tied.

Twist the casing on one end . Tie that end , take the tag end thru the loop 3 times . Thats the bottom . Stuff the casing , run the twine up the side , make the same tie at the top , but leave a loop to hang .

I wish I had more information...

If you are using a casing that will not support the weight of the meat, you need to truss it somehow so it will not rip open...
The below picture is overkill and for customer appeal....

full

I've done this before with my uncle and he just does a regular end knot and supports the whole thing with plastic netting, were we doing it wrong?

You could also use hog rings.
Al

I tried hog rings Al, but they slipped right off on the pull test. The tied design held fast. One another note, going to post later, I perfected the deer dogs and no need for the food processor like you said, they we fine.

That is a good idea. Tie, fold and tie that locking it in.

I am going to get some mason's twine for this. The cotton butchers twine broke a couple times pulling hard and gave me pause.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky