Nearly Frozen Ribs - Electric Smoker

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Elias Raley

Original poster
Jul 8, 2018
Hey-Howdy-Hey smoker buds, Elias here. First post on the forum. I am new to this smoking process, but I have been doing oven baked BBQ'ing for a long time now. I wanted to take it to the next step and actually smok!

I went out and bought a 30" Smoke Hollow smoker, just to get a start to see how the process actually works. I also wanted to get a good rack of ribs, but.. the buthcer shop I went to only had frozen ribs. I bought them on Friday.

Sunday rolls around and I wake up early to get my rub on and let it sit for 4 hours before actually starting the smoke process. But... The meat is red, but it is clearly a little frozen still... The meat can bend slightly, but there is still a frozen-ness about it.

What do I do? :(

Toss em in the smoker. They might take slightly longer still being a little frozen but shouldn’t affect the overall finished product. Are they BB’s or spares? I would suggest trying the 3-2-1 method. I think the time in the foil will help tenderize them in your case still being a little frozen. Let us know how they turn out!

They're babyback, yeah. As I was prepping them, though, they kind of started to thaw out... Wanted to do it quickly before they got to room temp.

My second concern I have is the rub. I've never smoked before, only did oven cooking but I would apply the rub and then wrap them in foil for a few hours/over night, then toss them in the oven. Do I have to change this technique for smoking in my electric smoker? I have them wrapped in my rub in heavy duty foil in my refrigerator. Didn't know if I needed to unwrap them for cooking, or what...

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky