Naked Ribs On The Rec Tec: My Best Ever!! (W / Pics)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I've become a hoarder. I reorganized my garage freezer and am getting a pack of chicken thighs, wings, and couple racks of spares every other day, 2-3 more trips and no more room. I could live without toilet paper, plenty of old paperback books in the closet. I'm not going without chicken and ribs, not if I can help it.

I don't blame you a bit on any of these accounts!! I'm not really a hoarder (yet) but I do try to sense the tides that may be coming and plan in advance for them. I absolutely hate being reactive about stuff when you can think ahead and be proactive. If you find yourself needing more paperback books, just let me know. I have several thousand of them :emoji_laughing:

Robert

Reactions: sawhorseray
Looks frikking fantastic Robert, great ribs, love the color :emoji_heart_eyes:
That slaw sounds delish what with the dressing.
Could you be so kind as to PM the dressinf recipe, please and thanks?

Thanks so much John. I agree with you about the color on those ribs. Couldn't have been happier with the way they looked and thank you for the kind words. I'm going to post the recipe here for everybody. Please reply with something as simple as "got it" if you get it here. If I haven't heard from you pretty soon I'll go ahead and send it via PM.

1 cup non fat plain Greek yogurt
1/4 cup buttermilk
1/4 cup mayonnaise
1 TBS dried chives
1 TBS diced green onion
1 TBS dried parsley
1 TSP Dijon mustard
1 TSP lemon juice
1 TSP garlic powder
1 1/2 TSP ground black pepper
1 TSP pink sea salt
1/4 TSP onion powder
1 TSP wasabi horseradish

I believe the first time I saw this recipe it was posted by a different John, that being SmokinVOLfan SmokinVOLfan but I could be wrong. This is an absolutely fantastic recipe and has become a regular around here. I saved what was left from the slaw to use on salads.

Robert

You turn them out consistently money!! Love the horseradish slaw idea. I’m in for the recipe. I may need to modify some but I wanna give it a shot.

Thank you Jeff!! Ribs were the first thing I ever smoked and they were a disaster. It was also the first thing I wanted to dial in so I did a lot of research, reading, and trail & error cooking. Once I nailed them, it was just a matter of really fine-tuning and experimenting with different approaches. Now i feel almost like I could do them in my sleep...well with the Rec Tec I probably could :emoji_wink:

Robert

Reactions: jcam222
Excellent cook Robert! I'm sadly not a fan of wasabi or horseradish... Don't shoot!

Fret not Zach, I'd never shoot...not you anyway :emoji_astonished: I understand about horseradish. It's a pretty bold flavor and certainly not for everybody. I will say though that Tracy isn't a fan either but she really liked this slaw. The trick is to not overdo it.

Robert

Reactions: Misplaced Nebraskan
Great looking meal! Ribs look amazing, I applaud you for all the ideas you put together in a meal.

Ryan
PS. Nice foot shot! Been there done that

Thank you Ryan. Appreciate the accolades. I do enjoy going out on a limb and trying different stuff. Sometimes it works, sometimes not so much :emoji_wink:

Insofar as the feet, I do believe there are more foot shots out there than people realize. It's just something that AZ and I have noticed and have joked about...in good fun of course.

Robert

Dare I guess from the tennis shoes and jeans it's a tad bit chilly in Texas? :emoji_laughing: :emoji_joy:

It was high 50's low 60's, overcast, windy, and raining off and on. Forecast was calling for severe storms but we never got them. Just chilly enough to justify having to put on clothes.

Robert

Folks from Texas only think it gets hot there, we know what real heat is!

Well Ray, I gotta ask my friend. Is it really worth getting into a tinkling contest over the difference between 112 degrees and 115? I know it gets hot in AZ and y'all probably have more triple digit temp days than we do but I'm still grateful to live on a huge lake, have a boat, and have a pool in the back yard. Without those, life would be spent indoors a good part of the year :emoji_astonished:

Robert

Reactions: sawhorseray
Ribs are something that don’t get smoked often here and like Jeff said, I’m hit or miss on them without changing my preparation. Quality of meat maybe?

The coleslaw looks delicious!! I’m a wasabi and horseradish lover so that coleslaw is right up my alley.

Appreciate the accolades Joe. It may be partially the quality of the meat but Costco (Kirkland) ribs have been pretty consistent. I don't honestly know what would make a difference if using the same grill, same spices, and same technique. It may be psychosomatic in that you get it in your head you REALLY want them so they just taste better by default.

Robert

Ribs looks excellent Robert! I'd down a rack or so. Getting me hungry now! And as always the slaw looks phenomenal.

Very much appreciate it John. If you had an XL BGE, you could do them virtually identical :emoji_laughing: Honestly, all ya gotta do it take a few minutes to learn the Rec Tec and it's pretty brainless. I'm using the same rub that I put together about 10 years ago. It's very good, simple to make, and has always turned out great tasting pork.

Robert

I don't blame you a bit on any of these accounts!! I'm not really a hoarder (yet) but I do try to sense the tides that may be coming and plan in advance for them. I absolutely hate being reactive about stuff when you can think ahead and be proactive. If you find yourself needing more paperback books, just let me know. I have several thousand of them :emoji_laughing: Robert

I managed to score a 45 roll package at Sam's Club and couple weeks ago Robert, but thanks for the kind offer anyway! I'd been trying without success to find that slaw dressing recipe again, now that I know how to bookmark it'll be easy to find. As I'm only grabbing one of my target items per trip I feel more as tho I'm stockpiling rather than hoarding, I'll be going to the market again shortly. RAY

I'd been trying without success to find that slaw dressing recipe again, now that I know how to bookmark it'll be easy to find.

I assume you found it? So damned good I'd hate to see somebody wanting it but not being able to find it.

As I'm only grabbing one of my target items per trip I feel more as tho I'm stockpiling rather than hoarding,

That's been my exact approach. IMHO hoarding s grabbing an excessive amount just to say you have it. Stockpiling is having some on hand for when you need it, Ie: being prepared.

As of now between the pork bounty I picked up from Costco and the beef in the freezer, we are in decent shape.

Robert

Well Ray, I gotta ask my friend. Is it really worth getting into a tinkling contest over the difference between 112 degrees and 115? I know it gets hot in AZ and y'all probably have more triple digit temp days than we do but I'm still grateful to live on a huge lake, have a boat, and have a pool in the back yard. Without those, life would be spent indoors a good part of the year :emoji_astonished: Robert

The most miserable day I ever spent was in Galveston when it was 96º, I'd never go back there. Just installed two new batteries in the boat and now there's nowhere to go, Wyoming kokanee trip will be cancelled soon. I couldn't live here without the pool, it was one of my three requirements for moving here. It's just beginning to heat up here, high 90's to triple digits, just what I've been waiting for. We're figuring we'll be locked down for a minimum of the next two months and as long as we're home there's nothing that's more fun than jumping into the pool with Bob a half dozen times a day. The water is about 76º right now and should be about perfect for my first dip in six months by Thurs-Friday, then for the next six months I get to play Poolboy!
DSC_0007.JPG

Thanks so much John. I agree with you about the color on those ribs. Couldn't have been happier with the way they looked and thank you for the kind words. I'm going to post the recipe here for everybody. Please reply with something as simple as "got it" if you get it here. If I haven't heard from you pretty soon I'll go ahead and send it via PM.

1 cup non fat plain Greek yogurt
1/4 cup buttermilk
1/4 cup mayonnaise
1 TBS dried chives
1 TBS diced green onion
1 TBS dried parsley
1 TSP Dijon mustard
1 TSP lemon juice
1 TSP garlic powder
1 1/2 TSP ground black pepper
1 TSP pink sea salt
1/4 TSP onion powder
1 TSP wasabi horseradish

I believe the first time I saw this recipe it was posted by a different John, that being SmokinVOLfan SmokinVOLfan but I could be wrong. This is an absolutely fantastic recipe and has become a regular around here. I saved what was left from the slaw to use on salads.

Robert
Got It, Muchos Gracias!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky