Naked Ribs On The Rec Tec: My Best Ever!! (W / Pics)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tx smoker

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Apr 14, 2013
Lago Vista, Texas
With all the recent discussion about the possibility of pork becoming extinct in the grocery stores pretty soon I decided to brave the idiots....I mean the lines, at Costco Friday and stock up on a few things. Among those thing were two 3-packs of St. Louis style pork ribs. I was breaking them down yesterday and vac sealing them in individual racks so that I could just defrost 1 rack if it was only Tracy and I for dinner. I'd planned to do a brisket yesterday but again got derailed by the weather. I had BBQ on the brain though and asked Tracy if maybe I should do a rack of ribs. Y'll know the drill by now: I got "that look" again pretty much telling me I was an imbecile for even asking. Ribs it was.

Kept a rack out and seasoned up with my pork rub
001.jpg

They go on the Rec Tec at 1:00. Controller set at 300 so I'm running 270-275 at the grate. I'm taking a different approach this time
003.jpg

Making wasabi horseradish Cole slaw. This is the dressing
004.jpg

Ribs at the 2 hour mark
006.jpg

Cabbage and carrots for the slaw
007.jpg

4 hours later and the ribs are done. Had to get at least one mandatory foot shot for AZ :emoji_wink:
008.jpg

Sliced. Nice smoke ring, super juicy, and cut almost like butter. Sorry....lens on the camera kept fogging up from the heat
011.jpg

014.jpg

Also made some beans. We had nothing resembling baked beans so threw together a can of black beans along with some spices and such.Plated money shot: ribs, slaw, and beans
019.jpg

The ribs were money!! No glaze, no sauce, and no wrapping. I did baste them at the 2 1/2 hour mark and again just before pulling but that's it: only seasoning with my pork rub and smoke. Nothing else was needed. I've done ribs many different ways but these were far and again my best effort. They were fantastic. So tender and juicy, amazing flavor, and almost FOTB...but not quite. Tracy likes FOTB but I prefer a little bite to mine. These were right in the middle but when you eat them, they do come completely clean from the bone. The slaw was off the charts!! I used a Greek yogurt ranch dressing recipe that was posted here with a couple of minor adjustments then added about a teaspoon of wasabi horseradish. It was enough to really amp up the flavor but not enough to overpower it in any way. You could taste the horseradish but it was kinda subtle and VERY appealing. Even Tracy, who does not care for horseradish thought it was my best slaw to date. She actually had three servings. I only had two but they were pretty hefty :emoji_astonished: All in all this was one of the best BBQ meals I've ever done and we absolutely loved every bite. Both of us just kept to the point of falling out of our chairs.

See y'all on the next one,
Robert

those look great! you made the best way I know how. Well done my friend.

Nice piece of work Robert, looks yummy, Like! I'll be doing the same thing in a little while, almost, baby backs on the Weber with the SnS and some apple chunks. I've become a hoarder. I reorganized my garage freezer and am getting a pack of chicken thighs, wings, and couple racks of spares every other day, 2-3 more trips and no more room. I could live without toilet paper, plenty of old paperback books in the closet. I'm not going without chicken and ribs, not if I can help it. RAY

Robert those ribs are a thing of beauty!! Ribs are one thing that I find are very hot and miss for me. One time I slay them and the next they suck. You turn them out consistently money!! Love the horseradish slaw idea. I’m in for the recipe. I may need to modify some but I wanna give it a shot.

Reactions: xray
Excellent cook Robert! I'm sadly not a fan of wasabi or horseradish... Don't shoot!... But dang if it don't look amazing enough to try! I'd risk it for a plate of all that. Well done again.

Great looking meal! Ribs look amazing, I applaud you for all the ideas you put together in a meal.

Ryan
PS. Nice foot shot! Been there done that

I think I noticed it in a recent post of yours Ryan and was gonna call you out on it. :emoji_laughing:

John
You sure did! Normally I prolly wouldn't notice but sure do now after I post pics, I know there was one in my Easter post. Good thing tho...guess if I'm getting pics of my feet my belly isn't too big yet!

Ryan

Great lookin' ribs my friend! Excellent job on the sides too! Dare I guess from the tennis shoes and jeans it's a tad bit chilly in Texas? :emoji_laughing: :emoji_joy:
BIG LIKE! John

I was wondering the same thing John, maybe a little nippy, maybe some broken glass that needed sweeping up. The only time I'm barefoot in the backyard is when I'm going into the pool, and that should begin occurring on a daily basis by this coming Friday! Folks from Texas only think it gets hot there, we know what real heat is! Ribs got postponed till tomorrow, someone wants burgers. RAY

I was wondering the same thing John, maybe a little nippy, maybe some broken glass that needed sweeping up. The only time I'm barefoot in the backyard is when I'm going into the pool, and that should begin occurring on a daily basis by this coming Friday! Folks from Texas only think it gets hot there, we know what real heat is! Ribs got postponed till tomorrow, someone wants burgers. RAY
Yep, looked at the 15 day forecast and getting into upper 90's which means 100 on the pavement.

John

Nice rack Robert! Beautiful plate and nothing wrong with canned beans, especially with last minute sides.

Ribs are something that don’t get smoked often here and like Jeff said, I’m hit or miss on them without changing my preparation. Quality of meat maybe?

The coleslaw looks delicious!! I’m a wasabi and horseradish lover so that coleslaw is right up my alley.

those look great! you made the best way I know how. Well done my friend.

Nicely done. I love horseradish in my coleslaw.

Thank you both for the kind words. I've just recently started doing the ribs naked but think that's gonna be my go-to from now on. This was only my 2nd batch of slaw with the horseradish in it but it'll be a staple going forward. i got a ton of different bottles of the stuff in Christmas exchanges and just keep finding ways to use it.

Robert

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky