My turn for MES40 troubles

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

BrianGSDTexoma

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Aug 1, 2018
North Texas, Texoma
Smoked my brisket this morning. After wrapping put into MES40 to finish. After done I been doing a 4 hour 140 rest in MES. Turned down to 140 and opened door to cool things down. When heat turned on it did not turn off. Unplugged and tried again. Same. Oh well time to head to river so warmed oven and shutoff. Can sit there until get back home.

Brian , sometimes leaving it sit for awhile will reverse the problem . Might need to unplug it though .
Make sure the temp sensor didn't get something on it .

Brian , sometimes leaving it sit for awhile will reverse the problem . Might need to unplug it though .
Make sure the temp sensor didn't get something on it .
Yeah I did unplug. I will troubleshoot later. The temp on display was reading correctly the heater was just not turning off. Set point was 140 and when got to over 200 the red light that says heater on was still on. Also had my inkbird in which is how I knew it was over heating. Seems I had this problem when it was new and took controller off and put back on and worked. I will try that again.

Reactions: chopsaw
I hope you get it worked out. If not the it sounds like the Relay/Switch on the lower controller board is broken in the "on" position. In that case it might be time for a rewire and a PID my friend :)

Reactions: chopsaw
I was thinking the same . I don't know if the relays are normally open or closed , but sounds like a normally open relay stuck in the closed position .

I was thinking the same . I don't know if the relays are normally open or closed , but sounds like a normally open relay stuck in the closed position .
Normaly open on the relay. The safety switch is normally closed.

PID time is always a good time :D

After sitting unplugged for a day it working again. I don't trust it but i always use my Inkbird and have the smoker plugged into a smart plug so can shutoff from anywhere. I also use smart plug on my Guru on WSM so can remote shut it down.

Reactions: tallbm
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky