My house smells like an Italian Grandma moved in...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Joe, I've been resistant to buying or gift listing a sous vide appliance. You may have just given me a reason to get one!

Ray
Ray
Certain things are great sous vide. The best lobster tails ever. Creme Brule comes perfect. Hollandaise is a worry free breeze. Finishing smoked sausage easy.
The ricotta is a bonus. You never have to worry about having the right temperature. If you get one DM me, I can give you some tips.

Joe

Ok, growing up as an Italian American in Brooklyn, cottage cheese would be sacrilege. Nonna always used true fresh ricotta, some marscapone, pecorino Romano, eggs, fresh parsley, and salt & pepper.
She would finish with beschamel.

Joe

I too grew up with an Italian mom whose parents were Calabrese. My mom made all the same recipes as her mom. Sauces were thin, and her lasagna kinda mushed and fell apart. Me, once I got an engineering degree, broke with tradition and designed my own lasagna recipe that stayed together beautifully. The greatest compliment my mom ever gave me was, "Your lasagna is better than mine." Actually, it's the only compliment she ever gave me, that's probably why it stuck in my memory.

Ray,

Calabrese on both sides, long story actually Scottish. Anyway, Gram was the best cook. Her lasagna was a picture. adding the mascarpone gave it structure along with the eggs. She layered with a meat sauce and thin sliced fried sausage. The top was bechamel. Oh yeah the sausage was topped with mozzarella. Usually it was 4 layers high. She would bake it then let it set, at least 2 hours. She would then just warm before serving. Perfect layers, I think most people make the layers too thick with the ricotta mixture.

Joe
I too grew up with an Italian mom whose parents were Calabrese. My mom made all the same recipes as her mom. Sauces were thin, and her lasagna kinda mushed and fell apart. Me, once I got an engineering degree, broke with tradition and designed my own lasagna recipe that stayed together beautifully. The greatest compliment my mom ever gave me was, "Your lasagna is better than mine." Actually, it's the only compliment she ever gave me, that's probably why it stuck in my memory.

Reactions: noboundaries
My secret: using uncooked lasagna noodles. Each layer has noodles, 4 cheeses (ricotta with egg, pecorino romano, grated mozzarella block, and mascarpone whipped with a little milk or cream), uncooked bulk Italian sausage, fresh ground beef, and my cooked thick sauce (diced tomatoes, tomato paste, onions, garlic, seasonings). Topped with sauce and the cheeses. There's enough liquid in the ingredients to soften the noodles. I prep everything one day; build the next. It's an Al dente texture flavor bomb.

I've made it sauce free, too, adding fresh spinach, onion, and garlic to each layer.

DANG! I just ate and my stomach is growling.

Reactions: Coach JoeQB
My secret: using uncooked lasagna noodles. Each layer has noodles, 4 cheeses (ricotta with egg, pecorino romano, grated mozzarella block, and mascarpone whipped with a little milk or cream), uncooked bulk Italian sausage, fresh ground beef, and my cooked thick sauce (diced tomatoes, tomato paste, onions, garlic, seasonings). Topped with sauce and the cheeses. There's enough liquid in the ingredients to soften the noodles. I prep everything one day; build the next. It's an Al dente texture flavor bomb.

I've made it sauce free, too, adding fresh spinach, onion, and garlic to each layer.

DANG! I just ate and my stomach is growling.
I just discovered pecorino romano...it was store-bought Cacio e Pepe (Bertolli) , but it was VERY good!

Next time I go to Kroger, I'm gonna grab a wedge/block (how ever it's sold...I prefer to grate my own) and make it from scratch.

IMG_1525.jpeg
Yeah, I gave in and made own lasagna. Homemade sauce but used oven ready noodles. But did use ricotta! I know the pasta purist are cringing, but I’m not that adventurous yet. Still was dang good and filled my craving!

Jim

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky