My first Jerky

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Hi all, it has been a while since I updated this post but I would like to add a few things. I have made many batches of jerky since my last post and I am still making my jerky for me, friends, family and coworkers.  The most requested is still the wine jerky. The Santa Rosa wine seems to be the main ingredient.  Since I have also smoked many tri-tips with the same recipe and everyone seems to love it as well. It is an Italian wine that can be found at Costco and other stores.

I also have started another jerky recipe that uses the Sweet Baby Ray’s “Chipotle and Honey” BBQ sauce. So far I really like it. I will see what the family thinks of it in the morning as we have everyone over for Christmas.

I do not use a cure since it adds a bunch of sodium to recipes that already have more than enough.  I believe that as you learn the art of making jerky and what meats you use and what you do with them you can make up your own conclusion as to the safest way to make, handle and store your meat.
Are you still cooking at 155* for 3.5?
Or is it better cooler and slower?

I try to keep it at 160*. The time varies by the amount of meat and how thin it's cut. Lately I like to cut it as thin as my slicer allows. My last batch was about 4Lbs and it took about 4 hours to get it where I like it. It was less than 1/8" thick so it went pretty quickly.

Yes, I would think so. I would start testing it after 4 hours. See how it bends. With 1/4" thick I would lay it out on a paper towel when finished to dry out as it cools down. If you seal it up right away it might be a little greasy.

Let us know how it turns out. 

Well 9 pounds, I think was too much, Ihe jerky on middle of the smoker was raw, and the lower rack was burnt...
Finished raw stuff in the oven

Imjesee1, Sorry to hear about that but you learn more each time you make a new batch.

With smoking or grilling the more you do the better you get. It can be good or bad. Now my family makes our house the place to be for every holiday event. It is good since we are central for gathering and we welcome everyone but I am now expected to cook awsome food every time and they always want something new. Haha spoiled family. Good thing I made lots of jerky before Christmas.

My birthday is Sunday and everyone will be here again. I said I don't want to do anything on that day but now I guess I will smoke a few racks of baby back ribs after watching BBQ Pitmasters on TV this weekend.

Oh yea, the jerky I made went over great, both the wine and BBQ. Unfortunately the containers I put them in let them grow mold a few days later so I didn't get to enjoy much of it myself.

Last edited:
Thanks so much for this instructional post.

I'm hoping on making my first jerky next weekend.

I haven't made any jerky in about 15 years, I guess I'm past due...

popcorn.gif

No cure needed for jerky. Just make sure it is stored in airtight containers. Personally, I never get a chance to store mine. Hell, I rarely get a chance to eat it after the boys find out the jerky is done!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky