My Favorite Hot Dogs. (“Berks” Brand)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I've never seen or heard of Berks dogs, but they look really good. I usually stay with the local brand Mckenzies natural casing beef hot dogs. I'm also not into straight mustard on a dog - I tend to go with ketchup and a good Michigan sauce. With a little diced raw onion.

Point for sure
Chris

Reactions: JC in GB
I'll second the Berks. When we lived farther East, getting Berks was no problem but, I have to say, I never saw the 1/4 lb Dogs out side of Sheetz in the area. Them darn Roller Dogs are tasty and the darker the better. I don't know if any Grocery Chains carry them...JJ

yup---The only reason I knew they were Berks, was I asked at a Wawa.
Then I sent their home office an Email about 10 years ago, asking them if they had a list of stores & addresses, because when I'm working in South Jersey, I don't have time to go on a "Wawa Hunt". So they sent me a complete Map of all the Wawa stores, and 4 coupons for Quarter Pound Hot Dogs.
They were normally about $1.50 each at that time, I believe.
And I agree---I love Roller Dogs, but they can get tough if they don't get sold fast enough. 7-11 sometimes has some Tasty Hot Sausages on their Rollers.

Bear

I Can't find the dogs I like up here Sabrett & I never heard of Berks.LIKES
Richie

I’ll have to look for the Berks next time I go out. Plenty of Sheetz and WaWas around me.

Never tried them, we usually buy Nathans.

I love hotdogs and want them all the time...I’m like a kid...wish the wife would share in my hotdog enthusiasm.

Thank You Xray!!
If you never had them, You gotta try a Berks Quarter Pounder from WaWa.
If it's anything like our WaWas around here, they keep them in a Clear 4 sided cabinet, with the Dogs in rolls in little cardboard dishes, all ready to grab.
You'l love them!!

Bear

Love a good hot dog. Wisconsin has many good brands of hot dogs available. Many of them are from a local butcher shop. Just can't beat the selection.

I prefer the 1/4 lb dog as well. Too much bun for those skinny franks.

Some Dusseldorf mustard and maybe some kraut or relish. POW! That is some good wurst!

Thank You JC !!
I wonder what happened to the old "Foot-Long" Hot Dogs??
I used to like them too, but I haven't seen one since I was a Teenager---Back in the 60s
And Thanks for the Like.

Bear

My son who is in Jersey finishing up a job (Tower Crane Operator) swears how good the Hot Dogs are at Wa Wa I didn't try one while we were there wish I would Have.

Gary

nothing like a good hotdog bear, there are some days I would take one of them over a steak, I'll have to check around here for the berks 1/4lb dogs, I never had one of them, I do like the john f martin brand hotdogs but I don't know if they make the 1/4lb.

nothing like a good hotdog bear, there are some days I would take one of them over a steak, I'll have to check around here for the berks 1/4lb dogs, I never had one of them, I do like the john f martin brand hotdogs but I don't know if they make the 1/4lb.

Thank You Jim!!
I just looked at the Map:
It looks like Wawa doesn't go much farther North than Hazelton.
They are all located in SouthEast PA, Jersey, Maryland, and Delaware.
And Thanks for the Like.

Bear

Thank You Jim!!
And Thanks for the Like.

Bear
i'll have to look for wawa when I go to jersey, my wife is from there so we do make a trip now and then but it usually means a trip to hotdog johnnies, I think it's a nostalgic thing for her.

i'll have to look for wawa when I go to jersey, my wife is from there so we do make a trip now and then but it usually means a trip to hotdog johnnies, I think it's a nostalgic thing for her.

Yup, I know what you mean. We have a Hot Dog Shop like that (also "Johnny's Dogs") over in South Bethlehem. Great Dogs & Cheap & Fast. Most of my friends won't go there though, because it's in a rough part of Bethlehem, but I never had a problem. Let me know if you get ahold of a Berks Quarter Pounder!!

Bear

Yup, I know what you mean. We have a Hot Dog Shop like that (also "Johnny's Dogs") over in South Bethlehem. Great Dogs & Cheap & Fast. Most of my friends won't go there though, because it's in a rough part of Bethlehem, but I never had a problem. Let me know if you get ahold of a Berks Quarter Pounder!!

Bear
who would mess with a bear, I will let you know when I find one. now i'm thinking a trip to jersey

Thank You Jim!!
And Thanks for the Like.

Bear

I have a wawa about 15 minutes from my house (PA Turnpike exit at Lake Harmony) and there’s another one down the road in Blakeslee...I do a lot of fishing in that area so I’ll have to pop in for a hotdog lunch.

I used to love going to hotdog johnnie’s. Haven’t been there in a few years...do you drink the ice cold buttermilk!?

Reactions: Smokin' in AZ
[

I used to love going to hotdog johnnie’s. Haven’t been there in a few years...do you drink the ice cold buttermilk!?[/QUOTE]
my wife love's it, she always brings a gallon home when we go.me not so much, I did try it a few times but i'd rather a milkshake.

Bear...your first night's and second night's supper look pretty similar. Am I picking up on a trend here?? :emoji_wink:

This is another one of those rare occasions that I'm gonna jump on the "me too" bandwagon. We love a good dog around here. Never had the Berks so we lived through Hebrew National for years. They are pretty good dogs, just not enough dog. Got to the point I'd just cut them up, put a little chili and some yellow mustard on top and eat them with tortilla chips like nachos. Sadly though, we got burnt out on them. Folks are probably getting burnt out on this but I gotta say that Certified Piedmontese makes an absolutely awesome dog!! We did a big party for the neighborhood kids recently and I ordered burgers and dogs from Piedmontese for the party. That was the best dog I've ever had. They only seem to put their name on stuff that's ultra high quality, and these things are a full 1/4 pound. I had my doubts about them but was very happy. Dogs have gone back into the rotation now!!

Re-dogged in Lago,
Robert

Thank You Robert!!
Yup---I don't think Dogs have ever been out of our rotation---Love-em Too Much!

Bear

Looks good . Love a good hot dog . Get the right dog and I only need a bun .
GFS has a 5/1 that's all beef , I get the 4/1 at the meat market , beef pork blend . Both are really good . Just bought 5 lbs at GFS .
Would love to try Berks .

Thank You Rich!!
I'm only about 30 miles from their Manufacturer, and I find them hard to get in the Raw.
And Thanks for the Like.

Bear

I have never seen Berks way down South where we reside but Nathans is plentiful and our go to dog! I work up North and Northeast a good bit so I will start looking for Berks and give them a try.

Yup I agree most of my trips to Pa include a Wawa 1/4 lb. dog.

Warren

I figured you might have known about them, with all your travels going on.
And Thanks for the Like.

Bear

Good minds think alike! Dogs on deck tonight (along with brat burgers)

Correct. Your first stadium dog (and Browns game) was a rite of passage for my family. The rite was conducted by a men only group, bitterly cold, drinking and swearing heavily. No joke a couple guys were giving me serious s*** since I had a Steeler's coat on. I was like 10. I think I even had a beer.

I have to tell you Thanks to You, I know that "Stadium Mustard" is some Great Stuff, and fits on my Hot Dogs Just Right !!
And Thanks for the Like.

Bear

Down here in East Texas, we a several brands most I don't care for, We do have Nathan's which is the only one we buy. How does Nathans compare ??

Gary

I've never seen or heard of Berks dogs, but they look really good. I usually stay with the local brand Mckenzies natural casing beef hot dogs. I'm also not into straight mustard on a dog - I tend to go with ketchup and a good Michigan sauce. With a little diced raw onion.

Point for sure
Chris

Yup---Berks aren't well known, even around here in their back yard.
I've heard of Mckenzies, but Never had them myself. Like I said I used to like Ketchup on Dogs, but it became too sweet for me on a Dog.
And Thanks for the Like.

Bear

Never had Berks, will have to try mext time I'm out east. Surprised nobody mentioned Costco Kirkland 1/4 dogs. Good taste. We always have a pack around the house.

RG

Thank You Radio!!
I saw Kirkland was rated pretty high on a "Compare Dogs" site.
Don't think I ever had them.

Bear

I wonder what happened to the old "Foot-Long" Hot Dogs??
Funny you brought that up . Couple weeks ago I asked about foot longs at the meat market . He told me he can get the dogs , but not the buns . Says that's why he don't sell them , but who knows .

"Stadium Mustard" is some Great Stuff,
Been buying Stadium Mustard on line for years . I found a local market , Schnuks that sells " German pub mustard " Same bottle , same label shape and same ingredients as Stadium .

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky