Morton tender quick salt

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Thanks for that link to the .pdf. I had never heard of the stuff until seeing this thread this morning. I've used curing salt and have it, but cant even remember what I have it for now!

The Morton's site is nearly useless. Couldn't even find a view of the other sides of the package which probably tell you something.

Reactions: DieselTech
Thanks for that link to the .pdf. I had never heard of the stuff until seeing this thread this morning. I've used curing salt and have it, but cant even remember what I have it for now!

The Morton's site is nearly useless. Couldn't even find a view of the other sides of the package which probably tell you something.
Lots of other good resources on that link as well. If you need a picture of the instructions and ingredients let me know.

The Morton's site is nearly useless.
It's hard to navigate that's for sure . I've been there enough , that I know where to look .
These are the basic ones they are know for from years gone by .

The Allied Kenco link is a good one . I have used it , and also passed it on . However there are what I consider to be errors in some of the recipes .
For instance , under the section titled " Mortons - Using Tender quick " there is a summer sausage that calls for 2 pounds meat / 2 TBLS TQ . My opinion that's twice what it should be . Following the 1 1/2 tsp per pound , it should be 3 tsp or 1 TBLS . This is where some of the negative opinions come from , and the " To salty " . It would be at that amount .

Some of the others are rounded up or down . Some have TQ and added salt .
I use the recipes , but follow the 1 1/2 tsp per pound for ground meat , and 1 TBLS per pound of whole muscle .
Here's a back of the bag shot . Don't use that " brine curing " rate . It's way to salty .
The older bags will say " Pumping pickle "
Len Poli has a recipe doing a wet brine with TQ . I did it with a reduced rate ( as did Poli )
and it's to salty still , so stay away from that .
20240508_092813.jpg

All good stuff but might be too much for a newbie. My suggestion is to grab some jerky mixes from Owens. They include good instructions and cure. Not often I say this, but the stuff FANTASTIC. Pro level better than store jerky. No other way if you ask me.
https://www.owensbbq.com/collections/jerky-mixes
I second this! Good people to work with! And a site sponsor. Hard part is deciding what mixes you want to try.

Ryan

All good stuff but might be too much for a newbie. My suggestion is to grab some jerky mixes from Owens. They include good instructions and cure. Not often I say this, but the stuff FANTASTIC. Pro level better than store jerky. No other way if you ask me.
https://www.owensbbq.com/collections/jerky-mixes
Thanks for the link. I might order some to try out. Lol I'm a newbie yes. But been making jerky & snack sticks from kits for quite some time.

Definitely came here to learn what I can from the professionals.

Reactions: zwiller
I second this! Good people to work with! And a site sponsor. Hard part is deciding what mixes you want to try.

Ryan
I won’t be promoting Owen’s. If they are a site sponsor and I’m not sure if they are, when I reached out for a small prize donation I was hit with a big fat NO! Sponsor……..yeah right

I won’t be promoting Owen’s.
I've done more than a few orders with Owens . Great people , and have always gone above and beyond their end of the deal . I always got something free with every order . One time I had an issue that was my fault . Sent an email and 5 minutes later my phone was ringing . It was Tonya and she took care of the problem I caused without any questions .
Another time they were out of something I ordered . Instead of a refund I ordered another seasoning . They sent me the seasoning , and a 12" smoke tube with 5 lbs. of pellets .

I've done more than a few orders with Owens . Great people , and have always gone above and beyond their end of the deal . I always got something free with every order . One time I had an issue that was my fault . Sent an email and 5 minutes later my phone was ringing . It was Tonya and she took care of the problem I caused without any questions .
Another time they were out of something I ordered . Instead of a refund I ordered another seasoning . They sent me the seasoning , and a 12" smoke tube with 5 lbs. of pellets .
I’m not discounting that they are good people or implying that they don’t have a good product. Just pointing out that they are terrible “site sponsors”. Although I’m pretty sure they aren’t sponsors seeing as they generally aren’t allowed to advertise here. Or at least they weren’t. I didn’t ask them for a million bucks, just a couple seasoning packets lol

I’m not discounting that they are good people or implying that they don’t have a good product. Just pointing out that they are terrible “site sponsors”. Although I’m pretty sure they aren’t sponsors seeing as they generally aren’t allowed to advertise here. Or at least they weren’t. I didn’t ask them for a million bucks, just a couple seasoning packets lol
I guess my comment was more of a surprised to hear that thing . I certainly respect your input .

I guess my comment was more of a surprised to hear that thing . I certainly respect your input .
I even used it as an opportunity to promote their product by hyping them up during a throw down. They are on multiple bbq forums and said they didn’t do giveaway’s with any of them. I’m not mad I just don’t want to see them referred to as a site sponsor if they aren’t willing to support the site. Everyone seems to like their seasonings and that’s great. Finding prize sponsors for those throw downs is a very hard task

I won’t be promoting Owen’s. If they are a site sponsor and I’m not sure if they are, when I reached out for a small prize donation I was hit with a big fat NO! Sponsor……..yeah right
Can't respond to that, as I've never had that happen to me. But can say when I placed an order they were temporarily out of one thing... was gonna delay my order a couple days, maybe a few, no biggie. When I received my order there was a pack of sausage seasoning in it for 25 lbs of sausage for free. Wasn't expecting that by any means, plus it's one of our favorite mixes, and was the first ones gone.
In today's world I was impressed. But I can see where you are coming from.

Ryan

Wow this thread took a 180° twist.
I hear ya Jake.
Most of Owen's products are from PS Seasonings if you want to order direct.
I don't use any commercial seasoning due to the salt

well-that-escalated-d823e756fd.jpg

I am no shill. VERY happy with Owens. Very sorry to read this, not really that active here enough or even follow threads to follow the happenings. First I ever heard of this.

But been making jerky & snack sticks from kits for quite some time. Definitely came here to learn what I can from the professionals.
You are not a noob then. Mixes/kits are not bad thing. I think most are better than DIY but never got into kits so don't know. Was gifted some jerky made with Owens for our Christmas Exchange uncle eddie uncle eddie and TOTALLY floored. SERIOUSLY, could not stop eating it LOL.

Wow this thread took a 180° twist.

I hear ya Jake.
Most of Owen's products are from PS Seasonings if you want to order direct.
I don't use any commercial seasoning due to the salt
So is this a fact? Or how do you know? Never heard this before.

Ryan

Tender quick is a good product . I have a couple bags and use it for certain things .
I have never had it be to salty when used correctly .
1 tablespoon per pound for WHOLE muscle meat .
1 1/2 tsp per pound for GROUND meat .

Follow the Morton direction when using Tender quick .
Saying cure 1 is easier is an opinion , not a fact . Make sure you decide for yourself .
Like Ray suggested , the search feature should take you to recipes and uses for Tender quick .
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I've always been a tender quick guy. If you learn how to use it IMO it makes a better tasting product than adding salt and cure #1 to a recipe. Just my 2 cents. Follow chopsaws instructions, you cant go wrong.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky