MIchigander Smoking Newby

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

george n

Original poster
Jun 19, 2017
Howdy Folks!

My name is George from Wyoming MIchigan, right next door to Grand Rapids.

I am new to the forum as well as am new to smoking. It has been many years since I have used charcoal or even wood for that matter for a fire. I had a gas grill for a long time until late last year the burner guts rotted out.

I invested in an Oklahoma Joe's Highland offset smoker/grill and got a real good deal on it from Meijer's for $249.00, it was still on sale as of yesterday 6/19/2017

I spent much of last Sunday assembling the bugger and even doing the upgrade sealing mod's between the firebox and cook chamber. Looked really good as I let the high temp RTV cure over night before I did my burn it seasoning last night after I got home from work.

All seemed to go well, after I lubed up the interior of the cook chamber with Veg. Oil, I ran a fire in it for a little over 4 hours at approx. 375 deg.

I have a question for any others that had purchased the Oklahoma Joe's Highland.

Did anybody else have the experience of most of the high temp paint bubbling up and peeling off most of the top of the firebox chamber and lid?

I did and certainly was not expecting that. Could I have possible done something wrong?

Anyway, one of the first things it said in the instructions was to acquire a can of High Temp black paint for "Occasional" touch ups but most of it (the paint is gone from the top of the firebox.

Anyway, I will be checking back and looking forward to some goooooood cookin!

George

George, welcome to SMF and congrats on the new smoker.  There are a lot of OJH owners here so someone will be along to answer your question about the paint.  My guess is you did nothing wrong.  I've read of others having the same problem.

Enjoy the new smoker!

Ray

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your new smoker!!

Yes, the same thing happened to my OK Joe. Crappy paint job. I wire brushed off all the loose paint and used a high temp spray paint. It held for a while, but has again started to peel, guess this will be a yearly event!

But, the best mod I did was adding a convection plate to help stable the temps, works beautifully.

Howdy Sauced,

Thanks for the reply, I do not feel so bad now thinking I may have done something wrong and will keep a can of paint handy!

I did get an upgrade kit from BBQSMOKERMODS.com that had all of the sealing material, Nomex stripping and a heavy duty 2 pc tuning plate for he temp regulation and a SS water pan.

Now that I have this thing seasoned, this weekend it is RIBS!!! for a first run.

Thanks and take care.

George

Welcome aboard , paint and a cover if your storing it outside would be my call.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky