MES30 Thermostat Problem

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

cekkk

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Jul 28, 2013
Central Colrado @ 9000'
I'm smoking some ribs today and have run into a problem keeping the temperature up.  Actually, the termostat seems to work properly but the temperature reading is showing temp in the 270s, although the Maverick shows 219 right now.  So I have to set the temp to 275 to get the element to go on, and then it shuts down after a few degrees of rise, thinking it's at temperature. 

I opened it and let the temp drop a few degrees, but I still got a reading of 265, so the element is still shutting down after a brief rise.  Luckily this didn't begin until I removed the ribs to foil them.  That's when the problem started, so they are just about done. 

Is there anything I might do to cure this or do I need a new control?

I am fairly new here so certainly not an expert but I do own the same unit. The controllers are notoriously off several degrees, some over, some under. Most seem to learn to adjust accordingly using a Maverick or similar unit that is known to be accurate.

I personally scraped the controller and added a PID but it costs as much as the MES by the time I was finished, However my temps are now spot on and I can program in a schedule that will automatically raise the temps to different set points over several hours (if desired).

Search the MES group  and you will find many with the same issue.

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/groups/show/8/masterbuilt-electric-smoker-mes-owners

Last edited:
My unit has been off around 25 degrees from Day 1, but that's no problem.  This problem is more of a wag the dog problem.  If the unit thinks it's 275 degrees and the max setting is 275, it's not going to allow the element to come on.  

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky