Memorial Day Back Ribs-(Taking a break from St. Louis in Naples!)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

insight3fl

Original poster
Jan 26, 2014
SW Florida
Ok... I live in Naples and have for 40 years and though the weather is great most all the time for me, we have been washed out since Saturday Afternoon. So, even with the rain the smoker is fired up with Baby Backs from Costco. I have not done the Backs for several years favoring the St. Louis meat (and fat!) but thought I would make a switch today.

Overnight in the home made rub: Salt, Turbinado sugar, garlic, onion, paprika, black pepper, cumin, Chile and cayenne powder (no trimming and no membrane removal "Thanks Al". ) and into the old MES digital smoker. Orange wood and bit of Jack Daniels oak chips. Will wrap three and not wrap the other three. Stay Tuned!

UPDATE: 2.5 hours in- Three ready for the foil.

UPDATE: Post Dinner: Well, I learned quite a bit with today's smoke. I remember why I don't usually foil... I can not tell what is going on inside that pouch! I know temperature is our friend when it comes to knowing when it meat is done, but I have never used temps for ribs..... only time and texture and quick samples near completion. Bottom line, I over cooked them. I also found out why I like St. Louis spares; they are more forgiving with the amount of fat on them. Lastly, I got distracted with the other sides waiting for the grilled corn and that last 20 minutes is what killed the ribs. Now, don't get me wrong they were delicious. Just not perfect like we all want after a day in the smoke.

My honey's special grilled corn and our first stab at potato salad made for a bountiful and thankful Memorial Day at home.

After I took the three half racks out of the foil, I pulled the membrane and they just fell apart!

The meal; rubbed and ready; on the MES; Ready to foil, snuck a loaf on the gill in between; Out of the foil; Corn is on; sauced and grilled on bare and one foiled; Membrane pulled and ready to cut? :emoji_sunglasses:

IMG_5052.JPG
IMG_5028.JPG
IMG_5032 1.JPG
IMG_5034.JPG
IMG_5036.JPG
IMG_5041.JPG
IMG_5042.JPG
IMG_5050.JPG
IMG_5051.JPG
IMG_5053.JPG

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky