Maverick Model ET-732

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
If 212 deg in boiling water is one way' By the way, a rolling boil isn't necessary. regardless of the amount of the boil it will never go above 212 deg.Try a glass full of crushed ice with just enough water to fill. The temp will be 32 deg.

Go by the Mav since you know it's correct. Ignore the temp reading on the MES.
That is what I planned on doing but when I was simply burning off the alcohol from cleaning the window I thought I would put them both in there and see how the temperatures read.  That is when the temps were REALLY HIGH.. Now I figured the MES would be off, but not BOTH of the probes in the MES attached to the Maverick.  I checked them ends and they were in the right slots on the reader which sits on top of the MES.... Follow ?   Could it be that hot because there is no food in the smoker to take that heat on ?   Just a thought..... So I proved the probes are good but my last sentence / question could that be valid ?

Thanks

Tony

What do you mean "really high"? What was the temp? Did you have both probes in the MES? If so did they both read the same?

What do you mean "really high"? What was the temp? Did you have both probes in the MES? If so did they both read the same?
I had the thermometer suspended with the Maverick clip so that was not touching anything.  I have the meat/food probe just suspending vertically as I had no food in it.  The thermometer probe varied from 260* to 281* and the food probe varied from 230* to 250*.  The metal oven thermometer I placed in there was dead on at 225* to 250* as I tried to change MES temps to get an idea of what was going on.....

I will try the ice water now that someone else just suggested....

Tony

I don't have an MES so I am just going by what I've read on here about them and the knowledge I have about the Mav. I have read that there can be hot spots in the MES.

I hope someone who has more experience with the MES will chime in.

If 212 deg in boiling water is one way' By the way, a rolling boil isn't necessary. regardless of the amount of the boil it will never go above 212 deg.Try a glass full of crushed ice with just enough water to fill. The temp will be 32 deg.
Glass of ice with some water the food probe reads 36 and the thermometer reads 34 so that is VERY close... water probably raises that temp a little bit.....

Tie the three (two from the maverick meat probe from the MES) together, place somewhere in the middle of the unit, and see how close they are. On the MES 40 (old style) the controller temp probe  is mounted just above the heating element,  tends to read high and make the center of the unit temps swing wildly. With product in the chamber it seems to even out nicely. I dry smoke most of the time and fill the water pan with sand....makes a nice little thermal mass that smooths it out even more.

So far not impressed.  I just got mine and the food probe isn't working.  Nothing worse than getting a product and not having work right out of the box.  :(

I think I toasted it the first time I used it, on our cinder block pig roast. From the smoker probe, I now get the dreaded, "HHH". I thought, okay, I'll just use the food probe alone for the next smoke. So I put it into a cold turkey breast and it reads 327°. Great. I guess I'll be getting replacements for both.

I just received my brand new ET 732 last night. It looks like a nice piece...

First thing I did was install the batteries, connect both probes, set it on a wooden cutting board and walked away for two hours. When I came back one probe was reading 64 while the other was reading 66.

Shouldn't they both be reading the same ambient air temps? It's brand new out of the box... I snapped a pic but don't have my camera with me at the moment.

So far not impressed.  I just got mine and the food probe isn't working.  Nothing worse than getting a product and not having work right out of the box.  :(
Where did you get it from? I would contact them for a replacement.

I see this is your first post here, when you get a minute would you do us a favor and go to Roll Call and introduce yourself so we can get to know you and give you a proper welcome, also would you add your location to your profile, we like knowing where you are when we talk to you, Thanks!

Sorry, I haven't had a chance to do the roll call yet.

I got it from Maverick, so I called and they are sending a replacement.  From a customer satisfaction stand point, they are good.  However, from what I have read they seem to have an issue with reliability on the probes that needs to be addressed so that they don't have to keep sending replacements out.  Either that, or we need to start an aftermarket business selling better probes.

It just irks me to not be able to play with my new toys right out of the box!  I have two briskets going on late Sunday night / very early Monday morning for Christmas Eve dinner.  At this point, I am going to have to do it the hard way and just be very tired on Christmas Eve. Yes, I whine when I can't find the remote as well.

Sorry, I haven't had a chance to do the roll call yet.

I got it from Maverick, so I called and they are sending a replacement.  From a customer satisfaction stand point, they are good.  However, from what I have read they seem to have an issue with reliability on the probes that needs to be addressed so that they don't have to keep sending replacements out.  Either that, or we need to start an aftermarket business selling better probes.

It just irks me to not be able to play with my new toys right out of the box!  I have two briskets going on late Sunday night / very early Monday morning for Christmas Eve dinner.  At this point, I am going to have to do it the hard way and just be very tired on Christmas Eve. Yes, I whine when I can't find the remote as well.

I am on my SECOND maverick et 732 as well. The first one didn't appear to be reading temps correctly. I returned it for a replacement and I am still not sure about the second one yet. Had some challenges with my snack stixs temps as well. I followed everyones instructions on here and put in boling water and it read 212 + and - a few degrees. Also did the ice water test and both probes read at 36 and 34 degrees which is close but NOT 32*. I guess the verdict is still out......

I also whine and complain when I cant find the remote. I need a beeper o the remote to find half the time.

Tony

I just bought the Maverick 732 and used it for the first time.  My 22.5 WSM dome thermometer  was 38 degrees lower than the Maverick…the temp probe was on the top grate (clipped in, not touching any metal)…is this normal?….I always thought that the dome temp was supposed to be hotter.
It's normal - the WSM probe is probably inaccurate.  If you want accuracy I recommend replacing with a teltru:  http://www.teltru.com/s-139-barbeque-pit.aspx

I have had a ET732 for about a month and I am noticing more and more company's selling replacement probes.  Do they go out a lot??  I bought the Maverick because the probe on the Taylor I had died and it would have cost more to replace the probe than the thing cost in the first place, and because it seems to be the thermometer of choice here.

Thanks for any and all replys.

JD

I did likewise and purchased the Maverick ET-732 and an extra set of 6ft long probes. They shipped from different locations but both arrived safely yesterday. The (AAA) batteries that came with the unit worked but I chose to replace them with some energizers that I already had. I also picked up a new WSM 22.5 so everything will get it's maiden voyage this weekend. I'll post also post some updates on how the Maverick performs.  

Being new to the formums, I do not have the access to post pics at this time. I do have a few pictures showing the difference in length of the Maverick stock and extra long probes.

Last edited:
Interesting thing happened to mine.  I was doing a brisket and 2 Boston butts for the Superbowl.  About 4am, the alarm started going off that the remote had lost the signal to the outside unit.  I went out to check on the unit, and it had melted.  It looked like it had been hit by a blow torch.  It was on a wood table next to the smoker, and the table was just fine, so I don't know how it could have over heated because of the smoker.  So to recap, probes didn't work out of the box, and now the unit has melted.  I am going with the theory that I just got the lemon of all lemons.  I now have a completely new unit thanks to Todd with Amazenproducts.  

That temperature difference seems alot. Chris Allingham from the virtualbullet website notes in his tests that the dome temp is 12-15 degrees higher than at the surface of the top cooking grate. The temperature differance from the top cooking surface to the bottom cooking surface is 4-10 degrees. They also note on new WSM units that some users may experience higher cooking temps due to the shiny new surfaces that do not have any seasoning built up yet.

I just bought the Maverick and a new WSM 22.5 and will get setup this weekend so I can provide some feedback for comparisons for you.

Water boils at 212 degrees F AT SEA LEVEL.  any increase in altitude will decrease the boiling point . Even 600 ft takes it to 210 deg, Denver . lower

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky