Masterbuilt XL Temp issues

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jftx

Fire Starter
Original poster
Nov 1, 2011
Amarillo, TX
I tried making some jerky a couple of weeks ago.  The plan was to start around 150 degrees and go up from there.  On low my Masterbuilt reached 200.  I know I can turn it past high and get the flame lower but with West Texas winds I run the risk of the flame blowing out.  Also, with the flame that low i couldn't get the chunks or chips to smoke.  Since i don't use the stock chip pan (i use a cast iron skillet) I was wondering if i could use lump charcoal for the smoke and heat source.

Before I fine tuned my GOSM to get to low temps for jerky I used a metal baking pan with about 6 briquettes of charcoal and a chunk of wood. I would have to replenish every hour or so but it worked and I could keep temps below 170*.

The best way I've discovered to keep the temps in my Masterbuilt Propane smoker (Ex-Wide) is to install [color= rgb(24, 24, 24)]an [/color][color= rgb(24, 24, 24)]  inline[/color][color= rgb(24, 24, 24)]  LP needle valve for the supply hose. My goal is to keep temps in the 130-160°F—primarily for smoking sausages and jerky. I can set the dial on the smoker to its lowest setting and adjust the valve to further reduce the flame. End result is a consistent cooking range for many hours in the desired range.[/color]

I use the a-maze-ns for smoke generation. They have little or no impact on the internal chamber temp.

Kevin

Low temps for jerky....

And sausages...

Reactions: cadillacman
I do use lump charcoal, after the mod on the chip pan, the LC burns fine with the vents in the correct positions and a low temp is achieved and no propane is used. 
5c5488c7_IMG_2752.jpg

I like the needle valve suggestion, I'm planning on purchasing one!

() possibly?

I love this smoker and big fan of a-maze-ns and hope to use it now that the weather here in MA is getting better.

I would go with a needle valve but like i said in my post i'm concerned with the wind blowing the flame out.  I think i'll try lum charcoal next time. 

You may be correct, I found more about this in another post which I had previously posted in see: http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/137129/masterbuilt-propane-smokers/20

I am still going to get a valve and if the wind kicks up I'll just leave it open a little more.

Good luck on the lump charcoal it works great for me.  Additionally I did more mods that I posted in that other post if your interested so that I can add different types of chips for flavor.

View this posting also very good stuff!  http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/...r-in-my-masterbuilt-smokehouse-propane-smoker

Hope all goes well here in MA BOSTON STRONG!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky