Masterbuilt two door propane smoker: I want to cook leg quarters hot and fast

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Ronyon

Original poster
May 18, 2021
TLDR: How can I cook leg quarters on high without over smoking or flareups?

I just started using this smoker, it is a hand me down in great condition.
I like smoke, but what I'm trying to do is use it as outdoor oven.
We are eating keto, and for reasons of economy and ease, baked leg quarters are our go to.
We just season and pop it into a maxed out oven, check temp in about a half an hour, chow down when its done.
Cincinnati chili seasoning is my go to, its incredible on chicken or pork.
It's not high art, its decent grub to keep one going, and we feed six people at a time.

Now its summer and I don't want to heat up the house, so I'm trying to recreate this easy experience in the smoker.
My Appalachian wife wants her chicken and the grill or stovetop take more attention than she or I want to give.
With the vent closed Masterbuilt will easily hit 400 degrees, but a closed vent also over smokes food.
Water in the pan also keeps the temperature around 200, for obvious reasons.
Fortunately the fat that hits the empty water pan creates a nice grilled taste.
It can also burst into flames...

The charred meat was finished on the grill, and despite looking like car wreck, it was devoured in no time.
Any advice on how can I do a full cook , in the smoker, on high, without the flames?

Put foil/ sheet pan on a lower rack to catch drippings. Use to do it all the time in propane King Kooker. Shouldn't flame if away from burner.

Reactions: Ronyon
Excellent, I have a 1/2 sized hotel pan coming, I'm hoping it will be a good fit.

Winterrider Winterrider -do you ever add thermal mass in the form of firebrick ?
I have some firebricks from my grill top pizza making set up and I'm sure they can stand the heat.
I figured I might put the on a top shelf above all the meat, so they could retain otherwise wasted heat without slowing down the heat up proccess.

Winterrider Winterrider -do you ever add thermal mass in the form of firebrick ?
I have some firebricks from my grill top pizza making set up and I'm sure they can stand the heat.
I figured I might put the on a top shelf above all the meat, so they could retain otherwise wasted heat without slowing down the heat up proccess.
I never did when I owned that smoker. Gave to my brother.

Had that smoker and it is PERFECT for what your doing. Mine always liked around 300-325F and that is perfect for quarters. Not really "smoked" flavor but more of a wood fired grill taste. Killer for bird. The classic mod for it is a small cast iron skillet on top of the burner. This will prevent flame ups and adds some thermal mass. From here some choose to fill the skillet with sand and cover with foil for more thermal mass and then throw a tube in there for the smoke. Quarters are all dark so I run to 180F IT.

I am Sandusky so Cincy chili is about weekly but never heard of using it for a rub but totally stealing that. THANKS

I though I should report back, just for the lols.
Just smoked a bunch of thighs and managed to screw them up!!
My tempatures never got high enough, until way too late.
Turns out my "clever" idea of stuffing the fat catching pot with cabbage and onions led led to evaporative cooling!
After I removed it, the tempature shot up and the thighs came to temp

I have a bad habit of tinkering before I have even mastered the basics.
As things stand, the meat is still good,
The wife is making chicken salad, and the dog appreciates the rubbery skin.
I swear I'm gonna play it strait next time, honest!
Still, at about 80 cents a pound, I can afford to learn the hard way.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky