Masterbuilt 560 ashes in cook chamber

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

larryfoster

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Jul 21, 2013
Peach Hill, Pa.
Last couple cooks I've been getting a lot of ashes blowing in on the food I'm cooking.
I've been using Masterbuilt lump charcoal for this and don't know if that's the problem.

I mostly use Kingsford briquettes and don't recall this problem.
But the cook, season is young and I'm getting senile so my memory goes.

And, using the Masterbuilt lump, cook times seem to take a lot longer even though the temps seem to be where I want them.
That may be my imagination.

Thoughts or advice are always appreciated.

Reactions: JLeonard
Not a MB gravity owner but it seems you're on your way to solving your issue on your own.

Do a few test runs with a few different brands and see what happens. More than likely you'll probably find that it's the MB charcoal causing your issues.

Are you putting anything in the ash bucket? Or is everything in the hopper and then burns down? I run a MB 1050 and never had that issue, curious to see what you find

Reactions: 912smoker
I have put some wood chunks in the ash bucket but I've never noticed it gives me any extra smoke.
I'm curious if that plays a part in that, although alot of people do that. I always load my hopper only if I'm running lower Temps. Not saying that's the right way, by any means. But maybe something to try 🤔

Reactions: larryfoster
I found that with my MB560, the Shop Vac was my friend. I used it to clean out the manifold.

Also, what temp are you cooking at ? I found running it at grilling temp, the fan would blow embers into the cook chamber.

I found that with my MB560, the Shop Vac was my friend. I used it to clean out the manifold.

Also, what temp are you cooking at ? I found running it at grilling temp, the fan would blow embers into the cook chamber.
I am usually smoking and at temps below 300.
This lump charcoal spits and sparks the whole time it's burning.

I never used lump in the MB560 and am not using it in my Assassin 17 GF.

It can bridge in the hopper due to irregular shapes. And I don't see any benefit. Some say it burns hotter, IDK bout that, but its not necessary when the heat on my cooker is determined by a fan shooting air.

I like lump for direct heat grilling.

Some briquettes have added chemicals for various reasons, but I use B&B and its all natural charcoal. And briquettes work better in the GF.

I get ash inside the bottom of the cook chamber on the Assassin, but there's not enough air flow in that cooker to carry it up to the food. I still vac it out after every cook.

The MB560 has good strong air flow and that's a positive, but the downside of that is it will carry embers and ash. But I really think if you keep the manifold vacuumed, the ash problem at low temps will ease.

I would bet the vast majority of grease fires in the MB GF's, is due to not cleaning out the grease, then cranking up the heat to grilling temps, and the fan blows an ember into the grease.

Thanks, Smokin Okie.
JLinza, I've always put a couple a couple chunks of wood in the ash bucket since it's supposed to add some extra smoke.
I've never noticed any difference and the chunks seldom burn up.

Getting some briquettes today and will use them on my ham and see what happens and vacuum out a little

Glad you got it sorted out, bought a bag of lump years ago to use in my Performer, give up on it after 3 cooks due to cinders on my food due to popping, back to Kingsford used the rest in my smoker.

Reactions: larryfoster
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky