Masterbuild Mes 130b pellet question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

miamited

Fire Starter
Original poster
Feb 16, 2013
Miami, FL.
The instructions say to use only chips in the tray. Would using an pellets with Amnps inserted on the left do the same as using chips?

I was thinking of also doing the mailbox mod to this for cold smoking cheese, etc. Anyone done this on this smoker? How did it work out?

Thanks.

It will do much more than chips,the AMNPS will give about 10 hrs of unattended smoke.

Search the site and you will come up with a wealth of info on just this subject.Member Bearcarver would be a great place to start your search...though I imagine he will reply here shortly as will many others!

Last edited:
Reactions: miamited
Actually, no, using an AMNPS would do it better.

I believe you can find where others have done this. But it takes modifying so you have an inlet, and an outlet.
But doing a mailbox mod gives much more. It gets the combustion away from your smokers chamber.
So you'll get clean, cooler smoke to your smokers chamber.

After looking at your other post, I had a different model in mind. The one you are targeting has a chip feeder, and probably an outlet already.
So doing a Mailbox Mod should be easy.

Last edited:
Reactions: miamited
The instructions say to use only chips in the tray. Would using an pellets with Amnps inserted on the left do the same as using chips?

I was thinking of also doing the mailbox mod to this for cold smoking cheese, etc. Anyone done this on this smoker? How did it work out?

Thanks.

I think you're talking about your Smoker's owners' manual saying to only use chips?
Using Pellets or Dust in an AMNPS is approximately "10,000 Times" better than using chips in your smoker. IMHO
I put my AMNPS directly in my MES 40, and I've been happy with it for 8 years now.
Others use a mailbox or a like item.

Bear

If it gets a little too warm in your Smoker for cheese, you can do the "Below".
Fill a jug 3/4 full of water & freeze:
5b80101c_DSC01278.JPG

I think you're talking about your Smoker's owners' manual saying to only use chips?
Using Pellets or Dust in an AMNPS is approximately "10,000 Times" better than using chips in your smoker. IMHO
I put my AMNPS directly in my MES 40, and I've been happy with it for 8 years now.
Others use a mailbox or a like item.

Bear
Yes sir, I was refering to the instruction manual that came with it. I am looking at doing the mailbox so I can use it for cold smoking also.

Thanks,

One thing immediately disappointing was the lack of chips the right smallness for the MES chip system where I bought mine.
Once I got around my way of beating around the bush, I've never looked back.
In fact, I removed 5 screws and stripped the MES chip tin out entirely on my MES 30.
And now on the MES 40 that was given to me.
Don't need it. Don't use it. I chose to lose it.

Yes sir, I was refering to the instruction manual that came with it. I am looking at doing the mailbox so I can use it for cold smoking also.
Thanks,

Yup---That's one way of doing it.
Another way is freezing water in a Jug & using that to keep it cool in there for cold smoking.(As shown above in Post #5)
Plus using Wood Dust instead of Pellets, because they burn much cooler.

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky