Making Stock

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

BGKYSmoker

Nepas OTBS #242
Original poster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Group Lead
Dec 25, 2010
Rineyville, KY
The trim from the pork butt went into the stock pot with some bay leaf, celery, onion and a tad garlic.

Started early and got done around 11:30. I strained it 3 times with a fine gold coffee filter thingy.

stok1.jpg

stok2.jpg

Reduced it down. Added salt.
stok3.jpg

Reduced more and it got darker and more flavor.
stok4.jpg

Covered pot and poured into ice cube trays and small containers for freezing and vac seal later today.
stok5.jpg

Nice, my neighbor the meat processing butcher brings me bones for my dog but I started using them for stock instead. LOL
Dog is kind of hit or miss if she chews on a bone with to much marrow. Sheet city for a day or two so I don't feel bad about taking her supply of bones for stock.
Interesting video from Chef Jean-Pierre on how to take cheap store bought stock and change into better stock.

Reactions: JLeonard
Yum I love making stock and glad to see I’m not the only one that portions it out for the freezer. I portion out 1 cup portions and freeze in little sandwich bags.

I use cheese cloth to strain mine but now the coffee filter will be getting used (great idea), a big one will fit perfectly in my mesh strainer!

I keep saying I am going to buy a Stainless steel spigot and tap the 5 gallon stock pot I have just to make transfer/ straining easier. Have not gotten around to it yet...

I keep saying I am going to buy a Stainless steel spigot and tap the 5 gallon stock pot I have just to make transfer/ straining easier. Have not gotten around to it yet...
The kitchen supply store has pre tapped spigots all done up

Got a link? I'm not familiar with that store...
I was thinking of the local restaurant supply stores but search Amazon “stock pot with spigot” there are a bunch on there….they even have the screened spigots to…..

Ps they have lots made up for home brewing to….about 120-150 bills. The restaurant ones are up in the 300-500 range…..

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky