Chuck roast with au jus

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Pigfarmin101

Fire Starter
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Nov 3, 2023
Idaho
My Friday meal was chuck roast on toasted buns with onion and au jus. Turned out amazing. Quartered them, then threw them on the smoker for an hour before I threw it in the crock pot. Unfortunately it didn’t get much smoke flavor. Salt, pepper, bay leaf, Worcestershire, garlic, and LOTS of onion, gods gift to mankind. Needed some SPG after pulling it, but I undersalted to make sure the broth salt and mine didn’t become too much. Let me know on smoke ideas. I know if I left it on longer it would have got more smoke but I was a bit worried about cooking too much too fast as my pit boss only goes down to 200. Could possibly add some smoke flavor next time? Here’s some pics, and I know I could have strained the broth but trust me everything in that broth was delicious 😂

ACFC050C-B7E3-4188-A8F5-5643B835671F.jpeg

8B0A3F34-73C3-4CDD-A970-440C6BCFB533.jpeg

D34FD8D8-9920-49F6-9A29-D938FD7F26A4.jpeg

D34FD8D8-9920-49F6-9A29-D938FD7F26A4.jpeg

4728DBA7-8F47-4F15-8FCB-29C9DD210E0C.jpeg

8A8335C3-0737-4DA8-B439-CB18F46BC14E.jpeg

D7285212-B610-44F6-8633-3CD9CA7C8B2C.jpeg

Looks good just like a childhood memory. If you want more smoke on the meat you can smoke it until it reaches the stall. Then put it into the broth.

Point for sure
Chris

Looks good just like a childhood memory. If you want more smoke on the meat you can smoke it until it reaches the stall. Then put it into the broth.

Point for sure
Chris
Yeah I’ll have to try that, at least a couple hours smoke next time

Very nicely done, our house are huge fans of Chuck in many forms!

Looks very good! Since I don't know your location. If it was cold enough. You could have cold smoked for a few hours first. Or smoke until the stall as Chris said. That would be a better way to go actually. You'd get a little bark on it.

Looks very good! Since I don't know your location. If it was cold enough. You could have cold smoked for a few hours first. Or smoke until the stall as Chris said. That would be a better way to go actually. You'd get a little bark on it.
We are in northern Idaho, but it wasn’t too cold yesterday, maybe 40-45? I also only have a pit boss which lowest setting is 200. 🙄🙄 would love to get a different pellet smoker. Ideas anyone? But I’m prob in the 2k range right now……

What’s a smoke tube?
A-MAZE-N smoke tube burns pellets inside your smoker/grill for extra smoke. There is also a tray called A-MAZE-N AMNPS that burns pellets or dust. I have both. Used the tray recently for cold smoked bacon. Will be doing cheese soon also.

Looks great! I smoke chuck at 275F. I'll put it in covered pan with a little beef broth when it stalls around 165F. I go to 205F usually. So tender delicious.

Reactions: Pigfarmin101
A-MAZE-N smoke tube burns pellets inside your smoker/grill for extra smoke. There is also a tray called A-MAZE-N AMNPS that burns pellets or dust. I have both. Used the tray recently for cold smoked bacon. Will be doing cheese soon also.
Just looked those up, that’s pretty awesome, thanks for the info!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky